May 22, 2008
- Big Pete Pearson/I'm Here Baby Wins Independent Music Award: The people's choices for Independent Music Awards have been announced and the "Blues Album" award goes to Big Pete Pearson/I'm Here Baby on Blue Witch Records. Wow! The awards for the "7th Annual IMA Vox Populi Winners" were announced today. Congratulations to Big Pete Pearson, Arizona's King of the Blues, for a stunning record that won the attention of the IMA voters. To read more about this, click here.
- Big Pete & The All-Stars to Play Silver City Blues Festival this Saturday: Big Pete Pearson & The Rhythm Room All-Stars (with Big Pete Pearson, Bob Corritore, Chris James, Patrick Rynn, and Brian Fahey) appear at the Silver City Blues Festival in Silver City, New Mexico, this Saturday. Also on the bill for this three-day event are Sherman Robertson, Zac Harmon, Marie Knight, John Mooney, and many others. Bob, Chris, and Patrick appeared at this festival in 2000 in the Sam Lay Band and found Silver City and its festival just wonderful. Special thanks to Faye McCalmont of the Mimbres Arts Council for including us in this great event! For more information and a complete fest lineup and schedule, click here.
- Tucson Show this Sunday for Big Pete & The All-Stars: Also on this weekend's schedule for Big Pete Pearson & The Rhythm Room All-Stars is a show at Old Town Artisans, 201 N. Court, Tucson, AZ 85701 in the downtown Tucson area on Sunday, May 25th, 7pm. This is part of Jonathan Holden's amazing Rhythm And Roots Concert Series (click here to find out more about this series). Click here to see the poster for this event.
- Chico Chism Remembered: The late Chico Chism will be remembered this Friday at the Rhythm Room on what would have been 81st birthday. Chico passed away on January 28, 2007 after blessing the Phoenix area with his charm and music for 20 years. Chico was best known for being Howlin' Wolf's last drummer, but he worked with Rosco Gordon, Sunnyland Slim, Sonny Boy Williamson II, T.V. Slim, and others too numerous to name. He moved from Chicago to Phoenix at Bob's invitation, and he was immediately propelled into great popularity and legendary status upon his arrival. His role as a personification of the Blues, a teacher, and a stunning musician is greatly missed in Phoenix. The Rhythm Room will host a night in his honor on Friday, May 23, 2008 with Big Nick & the Gila Monsters, The Flamekeepers (Chico's last band), KC Blues Band, Lynne Avril, and many others. To see photo pages of Chico Chism, click on these links (page 1, page 2, page 3, and page 4). To see the poster for this event, click here. The Rhythm Room is located at 1019 E. Indian School Road, Phoenix, AZ 85014. Doors open at 7pm, cover charge is $7. Rack Shack Barbeque will be available at this event. This night will be a patio smoking only event; no indoor smoking will be permitted.
- Dave Riley and Bob Corritore to Perform in Barcelona, Spain! Dave Riley and Bob Corritore will perform a concert in Barcelona, Spain for Vicente "Harmonica" Zumel's blues concert series. The event will take place on December 12, 2008 at a venue called Aula de Cultura de Collblanc. Vicente is an active blues promoter in Spain, and hosts a radio show and website called La Hora Del Blues. Thanks, Vicente!
- Rhythm Room Harmonica Showcase Announced: A show called "West Coast Harmonica Party" will feature a number of California harp men (The Fremonts featuring Troy Sandow, Billy Watson, and the legendary John "Juke Logan) plus the great Marco Pandolfi (from Italy), Bob Corritore, and Country Soul Bob (from Phoenix). The Fremonts will serve as the host band, and lots of great harpin' will abound. To see the poster for this event, click here. Doors open at 8pm, cover charge is $10. Rack Shack Barbeque will be available at this event. This night will be a patio smoking only event; no indoor smoking will be permitted.
- New Tomcat Courtney Reviews Added: Tomcat Courtney/Downsville Blues was officially released this week on Blue Witch Records. The excitement is great for this highly anticipated CD of straight, no-nonsense down home blues. The reviews have just begun to come in, and have all been raves. We have posted the first 4 reviews, which you can read by clicking here. Tomcat Courtney will have his CD Release Party on Friday May 20, 2008 at the Rhythm Room. To see the album art for this CD click here, and to see some great vintage shots of Tomcat, click here.
- DC Minner Passes: More sad news to report as Oklahoma City blues veteran DC Minner has passed on Tuesday May 13, 2008. He was 73. DC had worked all over the country with Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley, Tony Matthews, and many others in his long blues career. He and his wife Selby organized and promoted the annual Dusk To Dawn Blues Festival in Rentiesville, OK with a 17 year run to their credit. He was very active in Blues In The Schools programs, and he brought great joy to all that knew him. For an article on his legend and his passing, and to visit his website, click here.
- Little Arthur Health Update: Chicago blues harmonica great and Delmark recording artist Little Arthur Duncan continues recuperation from his brain surgery last month. His guitarist, Rick Kreher, reports: "Little Arthur has been moved to a long term facility, Advocate Bethany, at 3435 W. Van Buren, Chicago, IL 60624. They are trying to get Arthur slowly off the ventilator and begin his rehab sessions. A few friends visited him in the last week, and he seemed to be awake and fairly mobile one day; and totally out of it the next day. He can have visitors at the new facility, and hopefully they can give Arthur the care he needs. Let's keep him in our prayers."
- Chicago Blues Guide: A great online source for blues events in and around the Chicago area is the Chicago Blues Guide, which features event listings, news items, blues radio shows, record labels, clubs, bands, CD and concert reviews, interviews and more. To access this valuable blues resource, click here.
- Some great photos from the Blues Music Awards and The Delta Groove Showcase: Some photos from Blues Music Awards in Tunica, Mississippi and the 3rd Annual Delta Groove Showcase at Ground Zero in Clarksdale (the day after the BMAs) have been posted on various photographers websites:
- Goodbye, Sistah Blue! One of Phoenix's most popular blues bands, Sistah Blue, will be having their final performance Thursday, May 22, 2008 at the Rhythm Room. Sistah Blue were mainstays of the Phoenix scene, performing for over a dozen years and earning a strong and loyal following. Their charismatic approach to their music boasted of the appeal of an all, or mostly all (depending on the year) female lineup with clever songwriting and well chosen covers. They served the blues in the Phoenix community with grace and exuberance, and they will be greatly missed. To see the poster for this event, click here. The Rhythm Room is located at 1019 E. Indian School Road, Phoenix, AZ 85014. Doors open at 7pm, cover charge is $15. Rack Shack Barbeque will be available at this event. This night will be a patio smoking only event; no indoor smoking will be permitted.