March 20, 2008
- Two great gigs in San Diego this weekend: Bob Corritore heads down to San Diego this weekend for two spectacular gigs (see below).
- Friday, March 21, 2008 - Tomcat Courtney San Diego CD Release Party: Bob Corritore will appear at Patrick's II in San Diego with Tomcat Courtney for a Pre-CD Release Party. Tomcat's new CD on Blue Witch called Downsville Blues. CDs will be available here for the very first time, and the actual street release date for the CD is May 20, 2008. This is Tomcat's home base, and everyone is excited about this new record. Music starts at 9pm. The band will consist of Tomcat Courtney, Chris James, Patrick Rynn, Kurt Kalker (of The Fremonts), and Bob Corritore. Cover charge is $3 from 8-9pm, and $5 after 9pm.
- Saturday, March 22, 2008 - Spring Harp Fest: Bob Corritore will appear on a set with Johnny Dyer, Chris James, Patrick Rynn, and Kurt Kalker at the ninth annual Spring Harmonica Festival Benefit - Saturday March 22, 2008 at Harry Griffen Park Amphitheater - 9550 Milden St., La Mesa, California 91942-4115. The fest runs from 11:00 am to 6:00 pm, and Bob will play at the 3pm set. Also on the festival are The Fremonts, John "Juke" Logan, Billy Watson Band, Kenny Shoppmeyer and Delta Heat, Dan Byrnes, Mark Bukich, Rachelle Danto, Chet and The Committee, Lance Diekmann, Vincent Estrada, Mark Abbott, Tim Shoup, James Brown, Ric Lee, Budd & The Unknowns, Harmonica John Frazer's, The Spring Harp Fest All Star Volunteer Jam, and more!. Admission is free. Bob looks at Johnny as a father figure of blues harmonica. They are dear friends, and always enjoy playing together. Bob and Johnny will be switching off on harp, and Johnny will sing a number of Muddy and Jimmy Rogers songs, with Bob blowin' behind him. Thanks to Chet Cannon for putting this together.
- Dave Riley & Bob Corritore to play the Cognac Blues Passions Festival in France! This just confirmed: Dave Riley and Bob Corritore will be traveling to Cognac, France to Perform at one of Europe's most heralded blues festivals: The Cognac Blues Festival! The festival takes place July 22 - 27, 2008. Very exciting! More details forthcoming.
- Delta Groove Showcase Additions: This just in from Delta Groove: Added to an already amazing lineup for the 3rd Annual Delta Groove Showcase are Jason Ricci & The New Blood, Mike Zito, and Marco Pandolfi (a great blues harmonica player from Italy). Previously announced acts are The Mannish Boys (Kid Ramos, Finis Tasby, Randy Chortkoff, Richard Innes, Franck Goldwasser, Bobby Jones, Tom Leavey, and Kirk Fletcher), The Insomniacs, The Jackie Payne/Steve Edmondson Band, the amazing Phillip Walker, plus Mikey Junior, John Black, Lionel Young, the Blue Witch Records showcase set with Big Pete Pearson and The Rhythm Room All-Stars, Dave Riley & Bob Corritore, and Tomcat Courtney, Debbie Davies, Candye Kane, and Tony Braunagel. This party happens on May 9, 2008 at Ground Zero Blues Club in Clarksdale, Mississippi. This party happens the day after The Blues Foundation's Blues Music Awards, which take place on May 8, 2008 in Tunica, Mississippi. For more information on the 3rd Annual Delta Groove Showcase, click here.
- Unreleased Muddy, Wolf, Spann, Spoon, Sonny & Brownie, and Sonny Boy from Chris Barber's vaults: British Jazz trombonist Chris Barber was responsible for bringing some of the greatest American blues artists to Europe during the late 50s and early 60s. These concerts were often recorded by Barber, who held on to these masters for years. Finally, these releases are soon to be available on the Blues Legacy Label with 3 CD volumes. These have just been released in Europe, and will soon be available in the US. Artists include Muddy Waters, Otis Spann, Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee, Champion Jack Dupree, Louis Jordan, Sonny Boy Williamson II, Howlin' Wolf (with Hubert Sumlin) and Jimmy Witherspoon. To read more about these releases, click here.
- Photos Posted from Santa Barbara Blues Society Event: Thanks to Steve Daniels and the Santa Barbara Blues Society for having Big Pete Pearson and The Rhythm Room All-Stars perform last Saturday at Warren Hall. So many new friends were made, and a good time was had by all. Photographer Ted Rhodes's images from this night are already posted on the SBBS site and can be seen by clicking here.