January 9, 2008
- Soul Bag Magazine (France) and Two’j Blues Magazine (Poland): Thank you to France's Soul Bag Magazine for their coverage of the Lucerne Blues Festival in their latest issue, which includes a photo of Big Pete Pearson and Bob Corritore on stage. Also in the same issue are glowing reviews of Dave Riley and Bob Corritore/Travelin' The Dirt Road, and Nappy Brown/Long Time Coming. Thank you to Poland's Two'j Blues Magazine for also covering the Lucerne Blues Festival and including a photo of Big Pete Pearson, Bob Corritore, Chris James, and Brian Fahey. Also and in that issue is coverage of the Arkansas Blues and Heritage Festival with a mention of Bob Corritore, and warm reviews of Dave Riley and Bob Corritore/Travelin' The Dirt Road, Various Artists/House Rockin' And Blues Shoutin!: Celebrating 15 Years Of The Rhythm Room, and Nappy Brown/Long Time Coming.
- Ike Turner photo page and funeral program added: as we mourn the passing of blues legend Ike Turner, we have just added a photo page tribute; click here to view. Also we have added scans of his funeral program; click here to view.
Ike and Tina Turner 1965 killer performance; click here. Note that the white guitarist is reportedly Jimmy Knight, who was based in Phoenix and played years ago with Big Pete Pearson. (Bob has a fond memory of playing Ike old, rare Jimmy Knight records who enjoyed them immensely)
- Big Pete Pearson and the Rhythm Room All-Stars to appear at Santa Barbara Blues Society Event: The Santa Barbara Blues Society is the longest running blues society in the U.S., and they have been an artistic beacon for their community. The Santa Barbara Blues Society received a Keeping the Blues Alive Award from The Blues Foundation in 2005. Big Pete Pearson and The Rhythm Room All-Stars are proud to be included in their wonderful concert series. The event will take place Saturday, March 15, 2008 at Warren Hall, Earl Warren Show grounds, 3400 Calle Real, Santa Barbara. California. To read more about the Santa Barbara Blues Society, check their website at www.sbblues.org.
- Big Walter Horton in the news! - Though blues harmonica master Big Walter Horton passed away in 1981, his legend and influence are still very much alive. The latest Living Blues features a spectacular piece by Charlie Musselwhite remembering his friend with great stories and rare photos. Look for a forthcoming Big Walter story by Rene Perrier in the France's Blues Magazine. Michael Frank of Earwig Music reports that the forthcoming Honeyboy Edwards Earwig release "Roamin' and Ramblin'" will feature two previously unreleased songs of Honeyboy and Walter in a duet setting. These sides are from the vaults of Pete Lowry's Trix label and leased to Earwig. Check out the Big Walter Horton photo page on Bob's website by clicking here.
- Janiva Magness this Friday at the Rhythm Room: Janiva Magness's appearance this Friday at the Rhythm Room marks a triumphant return to the valley for this great blues singer. Janiva has recently signed with Alligator Records, and will have a new CD out this year. She has won a Blues Music Award two years in a row under the category of Contemporary Blues Woman, and she is up for a Blues Music Award this year under the Blues Entertainer category. Janiva lived in Phoenix for a period in the 1980s. For some photos of Janiva back in the Phoenix days, click here. Doors open at 8pm; cover charge is $10. The Rhythm Room is located at 1019 E. Indian School Road, Phoenix, AZ 85014. Rack Shack Barbeque will be available at this event. This night will be a patio smoking only event, no indoor smoking will be permitted.