Search The Blues Historian Website With Google

Google
 

Send Me Your Blues News

Contact me at
tgary62@gmail.com


Link Exchange

If you have a website, and would like to exchange links just email me at the above address.

The Iowa Blues Showcase is on the AIR

Download the latest podcast on ITUNES

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Black Snake Moan


Black Snake Moan, not the Blind Lemon Jefferson song, but the movie is now out on DVD. If you are a blues fan it has an interesting sound track, that Samuel Jackson performs on. There is also an interesting review of the movie here, at Underground Online. I would say that this movie IS NOT safe for kids. Just trying to find an image I could use for this post took some hunting:-) Personally I think this could be an interesting flick, so I will probably buy it when I see it up here in the wilderness:-)

UPDATE

Here is another review from the Houston Chronicle. I read the comments and one of them struck me as interesting. They called the movie race baiting, and said what would happen if the woman was black and the man was white. To be honest I am surprised that more people weren't upset with a white woman shackled by a black man. This is a movie that couldn't be made 30 years ago, and 50 years ago they would have hung the film maker for even thinking of making a film like that. Think about it, a movie about the blues, sex, violence, and the black man teaching redemption (although his way is unorthodox:-) to a white woman, this movie would never have been made until the early 80s at best. No it is not race baiting. We have come way to far for that. Misogynist perhaps, racists not.

No comments: