Search The Blues Historian Website With Google

Google
 

Send Me Your Blues News

Contact me at
tgary62@gmail.com


Link Exchange

If you have a website, and would like to exchange links just email me at the above address.

The Iowa Blues Showcase is on the AIR

Download the latest podcast on ITUNES

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Blues Historian Review: Cadillac Records


finally! I found a copy of Cadillac Records at my local video store so I bought it right up. I must admit that I wasn't looking forward to watching the movie. while I hadn't read the reviews, as a historian and a blues musician I didn't want to be disappointed watching some Hollywood fantasy. Yet, I put the disc in my trusty Playstation 3 and sat down to watch some Hollywood magic.

I am not going to get involved with what was real and what was myth, because lets face it there were a lot of missing people in the movie, (most importantly Phil Chess) and the Rock and Roll killing the blues was way over played. However I took off my historian hat and enjoyed a great movie about the blues. Muddy, Wolf, Little Walter, Willie Dixon, Chuck Berry and Etta James come to life on the screen. Adrian Brody does an amazing Leonard Chess, (although Leonard was gray haired)

I guess it is unfortunate that this movie didn't get a bigger audience. In a lot of ways this movie reminded me of LaBamba. That movie made Richie Valens, and Los Lobos into household names, it also was historical inaccurate, but a fun flick. Yet, Cadillac Records, even with the lovely Beyonce Knowles, was not the huge hit that could have catapulted blues back into the mainstream. It is to bad, because it was a lot of fun. I hope that if you can find it in your local video store to buy it right away, because it definitely worth it.

No comments: