From Bob Corritorie
October 22, 2008
André Hobus Photo Library Coming Soon to BobCorritore.com! We are preparing a new photo tribute section celebrating the 1970s photography of the a group of Belgium photographers known as The André Hobus Photo Library, featuring the images of photographers Bob Vanderschueren, Claude Meyer, Annique Massange, André Hobus, and Marc De Jonghe. These people took many stunning photographs of blues artists touring Europe during the 1970s. Among these images are Eddie Taylor, Junior Wells, Lightnin' Slim, Louisiana Red, Koko Taylor, The Aces, Jimmy Lee Robinson, Buddy Guy, Johnny Young, B.B. King, Lowell Fulson, Billy Boy Arnold, Jimmy Dawkins, Otis Rush, Phillip Walker, Juke Boy Bonner, Big John Wrencher, Hubert Sumlin, Lonnie Brooks, John Lee Hooker, Snooky Pryor, Hammie Nixon, and many more! These photos are spectacular, and we are very excited about our forthcoming photo section. This idea was started by Marc de Jonghe, who stumbled across www.bobcorritore.com, saw the extensive photo section, and offered this wonderful work a home on Bob's website. We hope to have these photos up within the next few weeks.
- Rhythm Room All-Stars This Weekend at the Rhythm Room! The Rhythm Room All-Stars with Big Pete Pearson, Bob Corritore, Chris James, Patrick Rynn, and Brian Fahey present their special brand of heartfelt blues this Friday and Saturday, October 24-25, 2008 at the Rhythm Room. The Rhythm Room is located at 1019 E. Indian School Road, Phoenix, AZ 85014. Doors open at 8pm, cover charge is $7. Rack Shack Barbeque will be available at these events. These nights will be patio smoking only events; no indoor smoking will be permitted.
- Harmonica Showcase: The Rhythm Room will present its annual Blues Harmonica Showcase this Thursday, October 23, 2008 featuring a dazzling array of Phoenix's top harmonica talent. The show is hosted by harmonica master Bill Tarsha and his band, the Rocket 88s. In addition to Bill Tarsha, the harmonica players include Big Nick, Bill Tarsha, Blind Ronnie, Bob Corritore, David Winston, Dwight Miles, Gypsy, Jerry Schwartz, Jimmy "Harp Jam" Johnson, John Calley, Keith Rodgers, Lady Dee, Larry Dee, Larry Polk, Lee Poole, Paul Klapper, Ray "Root Doctor" DeSylvester, Robert Jackson, Rob Hale, Rusty Walker, Sam McRae, Sarge Lintecum, Steve Passanelli, Walkin' Cane Mark, and more. The Rhythm Room is located at 1019 E. Indian School Road, Phoenix, AZ 85014. Doors open at 8pm, cover charge is $7. Rack Shack Barbeque will be available at this event. This night will be a patio smoking only event; no indoor smoking will be permitted.
- Lake Geneva Dates: Next week Chris James, Patrick Rynn, and Bob Corritore are off to Wisconsin to join Bob Riedy and a reunion of the Bob Riedy Blues Band for a 3-night stint at The Lodge at Geneva Ridge on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, October 30, 31, and November 1, 2008. Other guests for this event include the legendary Sam Lay, Gabriel Butterfield (the son of Paul Butterfield), and Eddie Kobek. A fourth day at The Lodge will happen on Sunday, November 2, 2008 with Rob Stone filling in for Bob, while Dave Riley and Bob Corritore perform at the Blues Blast Music Awards at Buddy Guy's Legends in Chicago as part of a huge star-studded lineup. To see the poster for the Bob Riedy reunion show, click here.
- Blues Blast Music Awards: Dave Riley & Bob Corritore will perform at the 2008 Blues Blast Music Awards happening Sunday, November 2, 2008 at Buddy Guy's Legends, 754 S. Wabash Avenue, Chicago, IL 60605. Featured acts include nominees Magic Slim &; The Teardrops, Lurrie Bell, Nick Moss, John Németh, The Kilborn Alley Blues Band, Dave Riley & Bob Corritore, Eden Brent, Sugar Ray Norcia, Teeny Tucker, Tim "Too Slim" Langford (from Too Slim and the Taildraggers), Gina Sicilia, and others. Dave Riley and Bob Corritore were nominated for "Best Traditional Blues Recording" for Travelin' The Dirt Road on the Blue Witch Record Label. To read more about the 2008 Blues Blast Music Awards and purchase advance tickets, click here.
- Nappy Brown Gets Living Blues Award for Album Of The Year! The recent issue of Living Blues Magazine (issue # 197 for October 2008) features the Living Blues Music Awards. In that issue, our beloved friend, the recently deceased Nappy Brown, received three Living Blues Music Awards including the prestigious "Album Of The Year" category. Congratulations to all the winners, including Koko Taylor for "Female Blues Artist Of The Year", Lurrie Bell for "Male Blues Artist Of The Year", Pinetop Perkins for "Most Outstanding Keyboard Player", James Cotton for "Most Outstanding Harmonica Player" , Bob Stroger for "Most Outstanding Bass Player", Phillip Walker/Going Back Home for "Contemporary Blues Record", Robert Lockwood, Jr./Steady Rollin' Man for "Best Historical Reissue/Post War", Delta Groove label chief Randy Chortkoff for "Producer Of The Year', and Willie "Big Eyes" Smith and his son Kenny "Beedy Eyes" Smith who tied for the "Best Blues Drummer" category! Also in this issue is a beautiful article on the late Little Arthur Duncan by Justin O'Brien, and a piece on Blind John Davis by Jas Obrecht.
- Big City Blues Gives Chris James and Patrick Rynn’s New CD a Glowing Review! Special thanks to friends Robert Jr. Whitall and Shirley Mae Owens for their wonderful publication Big City Blues, and for their dedication to the blues world in general. The most recent issue includes a glowing review of Chris James and Patrick Rynn's CD Stop And Think About It on Earwig Music, written by Roger and Margaret White. Thanks, Big City Blues!
- Blues Art Journal Posts Reviews of 4 Bob Corritore-Produced CDs: Special thanks to reviewer Norman Darwen, who wrote a glowing, multi-CD review in Blues Art Journal of Bob Corritore's 4 productions for the Blue Witch Record Label: Big Pete Pearson/I'm Here Baby, Various Artists/House Rockin' And Blues Shoutin!: Celebrating 15 Years Of The Rhythm Room, Dave Riley & Bob Corritore/Travelin' The Dirt Road, and Tomcat Courtney/Downsville Blues. To see this great review, click here.
- Dave Riley and Bob Corritore to Open for Leon Russell in December: The BMA and BBMA-nominated duo of Dave Riley and Bob Corritore will provide an opening set at the December 22, 2008 Leon Russell concert at the Rhythm Room in Phoenix, Arizona. The Rhythm Room is located at 1019 E. Indian School Road, Phoenix, AZ 85014. Doors open at 7pm. Tickets are $31 in advance or $33 on the day of the show; advance tickets are available at the Rhythm Room, all Ticketmaster store locations, Charge by Phone: (480)784-4444, or Ticketmaster.com. This night will be a patio smoking only event; no indoor smoking will be permitted.
- Big Walter Article in Back To The Roots: Thanks to Belgium's Back To The Roots Magazine and its editor Franky Bruneel for a beautiful article on harmonica master Big Walter Horton in last month's issue (#66) featuring the recollections of André Hobus, Bruce Iglauer, Bob Corritore, and Franky Bruneel. To see this article, click here.
- RIP Levi Stubbs of the Four Tops 6/6/1936-10/17/2008: Levi Stubbs was the charismatic lead vocalist of The Four Tops. The Four Tops had a number of Motown classic hits, including “Baby I Need Your Loving”, “I Can’t Help Myself (Sugar Pie Honey Bunch)”, “It's The Same Old Song”, “Reach Out I'll Be There”, “Standing In The Shadows Of Love”, "Bernadette",and many others. Levi was an original member of the band and remained in the band until his passing. The Four Tops were elected to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1990. Levi had been in bad health over the last few years. His songs will live on forever. For a complete bio, click here. To see a vintage film clip of The Four Tops performing “Baby I Need your Loving”, click here.