Search The Blues Historian Website With Google

Google
 

Send Me Your Blues News

Contact me at
tgary62@gmail.com


Link Exchange

If you have a website, and would like to exchange links just email me at the above address.

The Iowa Blues Showcase is on the AIR

Download the latest podcast on ITUNES

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Chicago Rated 5th In Hired Musicians

The third largest city in the United States apparently only has the fifth largest group of working musicians according to a survey put out by the University of Chicago. This survey is interesting however, I have no way to access it. I found this out from blogger James Porter of Time Out Chicago Magazine. Porter disagrees with the findings and I have to agree with him that some of the results seem out of sync. For instance Country Western musicians make up 5.1% of the population while Blues musicians make up only 3.6%!

However, before I get to out on a limb here, I would like to see the data. I have a feeling, (just a feeling:-) That perhaps these numbers are union musicians. The music union is pretty strong in Chicago, so perhaps they are using union membership for their numbers.

So Hopefully I can find some time this weekend to dig around on the net for the numbers, or if someone runs across the study send it my way. I don't want to jump all over the University of Chicago unless I can study the data. Also the University of Chicago is an outstanding university, so I can't see them releasing something half-baked.

No comments: