Search The Blues Historian Website With Google

Google
 

Send Me Your Blues News

Contact me at
tgary62@gmail.com


Link Exchange

If you have a website, and would like to exchange links just email me at the above address.

The Iowa Blues Showcase is on the AIR

Download the latest podcast on ITUNES

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Bob Dorr And The Blue Band Update

Hmmm. Tax weekend starts with Friday the 13th. But, I've promised to keep it to the apolitical blues...
As a matter of fact, Friday the 13th brings good fortune! The Blue Band's first gig of the month! It's the monthly Geeezer Gig (6-9:30) at The Hub, Bub, 4th & Main, Sparkle City USA. Finally, after 3 months of a variety of rhythm section combinations, it comes back to the regulars, Mark and The Chief (yes, Steve has built up enough comp time from the day job so he can join us on a Friday) Nolan Schroeder, the sax player on Al's nationally charted jazz disc, and part of UNI's esteemed jazz band, will join Eddie in the horn section (it's Nolan's birthday on Saturday, a perfect time for you to bring CAKE) (whoa. I just realized that I'm THREE TIMES as old as he is) and I'm praying to (enter your own deity here) that Jeff remembers the songs, because I'm sure I don't (don't follow Bob, especially if he hasn't played the songs in nearly a month) And to add to my confusion, we'll be joined by some guests. Noted NE Iowa singer songwriter Patsy Wellman has often been in the Hub audience this past year and every time I see her, I ask if she wants to play a song or two. So this month she's going to try to lead us through a couple of her tunes (rehearsal? WHAT rehearsal?!) And, speaking of no rehearsal, once a year, my friend Phillip Watson talks me into letting him lead the group through a song. Sleep Walk by Santo & Johnny has been his song for the last two years. This year, he says it's going to be Apache, the instrumental by Jorgen Ingmann (who?) yep, Jorgen Ingmann went to #2 for two weeks in a row in early 1961 with the instrumental Apache. I cannot remember the last time I heard that song. I don't know if I've EVAH heard that song. I've known Mr. Watson for nearly 40 years. He grew up in London during the British Invasion/Beatlemania era. He moved to Waterloo for his career just about the time I started my radio career in the early 70s. My fascination with that music and his living thru the experience in England created an instant friendship and it's endured all these years. I didn't even know he played guitar until 2 years ago. So don't miss it if you can, An English rock guitar player leads The Blue Band thru Apache (probably the English instrumental band The Shadows version, not Jorgen Ingmann) It's Friday the 13th, we haven't a clue as to how the song goes, what could possibly go wrong? We're also hoping Avis' husband brings one of his 400 guitars and does that "light the guitar on fire and play it behind his head while standing on one foot and playing the trombone part to Wooly Bully thing" that he's been known to do. Pizza by the slice, adult beverages, great in-house sound system, ample dance floor and a sexagenarian without a clue on Friday the 13th. What's not to like, right Avis?...
Saturday we are playing the wedding of the youngest child of a family that I've known for nearly the entire 30 year run of our band. The bride was not even born when we played the family barn in the early 80s. I hope I don't get teary eyed, it would ruin my image...
Here's something I've NEVER said before: We got invited to the Houby Days Celebration in Czech Village in Cedar Rapids this year! Bring the kids, bring the grandkids, party in the streets, Saturday night May 19, 6:30-9:30...
Next week we play the Iowa Medical Society annual meeting and then another 3 week lay off, unless you still need entertainment for that deck party at your mansion on the outskirts of town for that Mayday celebration you've been thinking about...
What's on the radio shows this week? Well, thanks for asking: http://iowapublicradio.org/studio-one/backtracks/ http://iowapublicradio.org/studio-one/blue-avenue/
See yas on the Blue Highway, rub yer washboard tie to the tune of I Ain't Superstitious, bring yer mojo and yer black cat bone to The Hub in order to ward off the bad luck spirits of Friday the 13th (I've also heard that CAKE is effective in vanquishing evil spirits as well) (yes, that could be the first time I've ever used the word VANQUISH in a Blue Note) Good luck or bad, always know that we love you. Bob Dorr & The Blue Band

No comments: