April 6th, 2011
- Dave Riley & Bob Corritore to headline Gray Sky Blues Festival in Tacoma, Washington! The Gray Sky Blues Festival happens this Saturday, April 9th in downtown Tacoma, Washington. The festival utilizes a number of venues for a wonderful day of the blues. In addition to Dave Riley & Bob Corritore, the festival also includes The Randy Oxford Band, The V-Knights, Mark Dufresne, Maia Santell, J.D. Hobson, James King & The Southsiders, Cody Rentas, Alyx & Chris Phippen, and more! for more information click here.
- Nick Curran dealing with further cancer issues. Nick Curran has had to cancel all dates on his forthcoming tour to deal with some ongoing health issues. Per Nick Curran's agent/manger Harry Turner; "Last year, Curran underwent treatments to address a cancerous growth on his tongue, and a further procedure is necessary at this time. Although he is eager to get back to a normal life and perform for his many fans, it is crucial to his continuing health that this situation be addressed immediately." Prayers to Nick for a speedy recovery.
- Today is Big Walter Horton's birthday! One of the greatest harmonica players of all time was Big Walter Horton, who was born in Horn Lake, Mississippi on April 6, 1917, and died in Chicago, Illinois on December 8, 1981. Big Walter Horton was best known for his unique blues phrasing and his bell-like resonating tone. For examples of this, please enjoy the instrumental "Easy" by clicking here, or Big Walter's "Christine" by clicking here. To hear Big Walter's amazing harmonica accompaniment on Jimmy Rogers' "Walking by Myself", click here. To see our photo page devoted to Big Walter, click here.
- Bob Corritore to be featured in this week's Blues Blast Magazine! Thanks to interviewer Chefjimi Patricola for his e-interview with Bob which will appear in the April 7 (tomorrow) issue of Blues Blast Magazine which comes via email. To find out more about Blues Blast Magazine and to sign up to enjoy a free subscription, please click here . You can enjoy the current issue featuring Kenny "Beedy Eyes" Smith by clicking here (note this issue will switch to new one tomorrow).
- Grammy Awards eliminate numerous categories. In an effort to streamline the many categories of Grammys awarded each year, NARAS has eliminated over 30 music categories. Most unfortunate is that they have paired the two blues categories (Traditional Blues and Contemporary Blues) into just one overall award for the blues. It is also sad to see the Traditional Gospel and the Zydeco/Cajun categories no longer represented as these awards frequently recognized artists close to the blues family.
- "A Dinner For Pinetop" photo link! Last week's newsletter contained a broken link to the "A Dinner For Pinetop" photo. Here is the correct link; http://www.bobcorritore.com/photos162.html. We apologize.