Search The Blues Historian Website With Google

Google
 

Send Me Your Blues News

Contact me at
tgary62@gmail.com


Link Exchange

If you have a website, and would like to exchange links just email me at the above address.

The Iowa Blues Showcase is on the AIR

Download the latest podcast on ITUNES

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Bob Dorr And The Blue Band Update

Well, I'm unprepared. It's a day earlier than I normally get this note out and I have nothing to rant about. Damn...
This evening (Thurs. 7/22) see ya at the Gazeeeeebo Gig in Central Park, in Grinnell, 5:30-7:30p. I started playing in Grinnell at The Eagles Club with The Little Red Rooster Band in 1977. We're talkin' 33 years of playing a gig or two a year in that town. What can I say, I like the place. And occasionally someone brings CAKE!...
Friday night is our only nightclub appearance this summer, starting the night's festivities at The Hub, bub. 4th & Main in beautiful downtown Sparkle City USA. It's modified "geeeezer gig" hours, 7-10:30p, Heath joins Al in the horn section, sometimes our friend Bob Guthart brings one of his 400 guitars (usually the green one) and plays a real cool rhythm part on Good Legs. Pizza by the slice, adult beverages, great in-house sound system, run by professionals, dancing, and actin' the fool and you can still get home to catch the weather forecast on the 10 o'clock news!!! What's not to like, right Avis?!...
I'm really looking forward to Saturday's show at the Bix Street Fair in Davenport. I was a Sudlow Jr. High Tiger in 1966. It seems that every time we go back to the Quads, one or more of my old classmates shows up. And invariably I have to say, "yes, I'm still playing in a band, just like the last time you saw me, as the drummer in Tortoise & The Hair, at the Sudlow mixer in the cafeteria/multi-purpose room, playing Lovin' Spoonful songs and tryin' to make out with Jane Wormley." Yep, same guy. See ya on the 2nd & Main stage 7:30-9:30p. A quick shout out to Wells Fargo Bank in Davenport for continuing to underwrite the cost of our show. Thankyou, thankyouverymuch...
Next week: Thurs. 7/29 RAGBRAI lunch stop, Parkersburg, 10:30 (IN THE MORNING) to 1:30pm...Fri. 7/30 Live At 5-Ottumwa downtown park 5-7:30p...Sun. 8/1 (what? Next week is AUGUST??? YIKES!!) The Parnell Bike Show, out on Main Street 2-6pm...
Yes, it's come to this. I know rent out my voice to the Cedar Rapids HomeShow! This week, I read blurbs about 43 houses in 27 minutes. It airs on the CW TV channel out of Cedar Rapids Saturday at noon, Sunday at 11am. And ya know, while we're talkin' real estate, my wife has a cozy little two bedroom bungalo in a prime Cedar Falls location for sale...
Actually, I wanted to rant about "Tribute Bands". Bands that pretend to be other bands. What? And they're immensely popular. Could you es'plain that to me. Maybe that's why I'm still playing the same towns that I was playing 30-40 years ago. I shoulda gotten in the Kiss Tribute Band, but I have no clue how to put on the make-up. Christ, even Dweezil Zappa does entire shows of his dad's music these days. I thought the reason to be a musician and put up with the late nights, long road trips, load-outs in the rain, making it to the gig in a blizzard, for little (if any) pay was because you got to do it your way, not pretend to do it EXACTLY like the other guy!...
We're in the homestretch for the house remodeling. The painters are s'posed to do their last day, starting in about 4 hours. I've been having some difficulty with my phones so the Quest guy will be here either in five and a half hours or anytime in the four hours following that. Honest to God, it sounds like someone is doing a very bad job of tapping my phone (just because you're not paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not after you...) See yas on the Blue Highway (if they don't take me away before that) Rubbing your washboard tie is great summer fun for all ages, no matter if you're tapping my phone or not, bring CAKE and always remember we love you. Bob Dorr & The Blue Band

No comments: