February 26, 2009
- Bob Appears Saturday, February 28, 2009 on Sets with Dave Riley and Big Pete Pearson at the 15th Annual Music Festival and Carnival Celebrating Black History Month: Also on the bill are Greg Kelly Foundation, Soul Power, Royce Murray, Tommy Dukes, Jimmie McElroy Band, and many others. The lineup covers a wide array of musical genres including blues, jazz, soul, gospel, and hip-hop. This event is put on by the Northwest Black History Committee, and takes place at the Peoria Municipal Complex, 83rd Avenue and Cinnabar in Peoria. To see the flyer, click here. For more information, click here.
- Dave Riley and Bob Corritore Appear Tonight at the Rhythm Room: Dave and Bob will perform their Juke Joint blues tonight, Thursday, February 26, 2009 at the Rhythm Room. The Rhythm Room is located at 1019 E. Indian School Rd. in Phoenix. Doors open at 7pm, cover charge is $5. This night will be a patio smoking only event; no indoor smoking will be permitted.
- Blues Blast 2009 Weekend Reviewed on the Web: Congratulations to the Phoenix Blues Society for a successful festival last weekend. This well-attended festival was filled with great performances, and served as a true gathering point for Phoenix area blues lovers. To read Larry Rodgers' review of this event, click here. To see some great photos from Blues Blast, click here. Also, check out some photos of the pre and after parties at the Rhythm Room by clicking here. A big thank you to Janiva Magness, who tore it up both at the festival and the after-party hosted by The Rhythm Room All-Stars. Janiva lived in Phoenix during the 1980s, where she performed regularly in a band called Janiva Magness and the Mojomatics (click here to see a photo of this band); so coming back to town as an Alligator recording artist and festival headliner was her proud homecoming! Thanks to President Kyle Deibler and everyone from the Phoenix Blues Society for a well constructed, smooth running show with lots of heart.
- Memphis Photos: Check out these photos of the IBC (International Blues Challenge) in Memphis recently posted on the web by photographer Rob Smith. To see, click here.
- Bear Family Looking for Freddy King Photos and Memorabilia: Our friend Detlev Hoegen of the Bear Family label reports that they are currently collecting high quality photos and memorabilia of Freddie King for the new box sets that will reissue all of Freddie King’s studio work. If you have anything that might be considered, please email Detlev at email@example.com. Detlev also noted that he is not the "Label Chief" as he was referred to in a past newsletter, and that this honor belongs to founder Richard Weize. Thanks again to Bear Family for their serious commitment to presenting great music.
- Albert King On YouTube! Please enjoy this great clip of Albert King live at the Fillmore East in 1970 performing his song "Blues Power" at the top of his game. To see this clip, click here.