March 11, 2008
- Big Pete & The Rhythm Room All-Stars to appear at Santa Barbara Blues Society Anniversary Party this Saturday: Come celebrate the thirty-first anniversary of the award-winning Santa Barbara Blues Society with a special concert. Big Pete Pearson & The Rhythm Room All-Stars will appear Saturday, March 15, 2008 at 8:30pm (doors open at 7:30pm) at Earl Warren Showgrounds, 3400 Calle Real, Santa Barbara, CA 93105. Thanks to Blues Society president Steve Daniels for all his great work in the blues. Bob Corritore was a call-in guest interview yesterday on Steve's blues radio show, Views On The Blues on KCSB 91.9FM. Thanks also to freelance writer and musician Joe Woodward, who interviewed Big Pete Pearson for a forthcoming piece in the Santa Barbara News-Press in advance of our show.
- New band photo for Big Pete Pearson & The Rhythm Room All-Stars: Check out our new band photo taken over the weekend by David Blake, who was also the photographer of the cover photo of Big Pete Pearson/I'm Here Baby. Click here to see the low-res photo and here to see the high-res (300 DPI) photos available for your use.
- Candye Kane health concerns: In her recent newsletter, our dear friend Candye Kane has some shocking news to report. She has been diagnosed with a form of pancreatic cancer. She is undergoing tests, and will have a medical game plan shortly. She is feeling fine, and is continuing to gig; though, at some point may need some down time for treatment. More information is available at her MySpace site by clicking here. Please send Candye your love, and sign up for her newsletter by e-mailing her at email@example.com. Prayers to Candye.
- More Blues In The Movies: Since posting the first "Blues In The Movies" mention, we have received a number of emails by newsletter subscribers illuminating other places where blues on film exists. Robert Hagnas of the DP Agency contacted us about two films by Mukul Filmi Oy from Finland.
1) Mississippi-Nedervetil is a documentary showing a teacher student relationship with blues elder statesman Louisiana Red, and the young Finnish guitarist Niko Riipa of the Wentus Blues Band. For more information, click here.
2) Family Meeting documents a blues gathering in Finland to celebrate the twentieth anniversary of the Wentus Blues Band that includes special guests Eddie Kirkland, Lazy Lester, Louisiana Red, Kim Wilson, Mick Taylor, Tore Berglund, Eric Bibb, Clas Yngstrom, Omar Kent Dykes, Sven Zetterberg, and Barrence Whitfield. By documenting this blues reunion of musicians from the US, Sweden, UK, and Finland, this film illustrates the worldwide community the blues has become. To see the trailer, click here.