March 6, 2008
- Big Pete Pearson & The Rhythm Room All-Stars appear this Friday and Saturday, March 7-8, 2008 at the Rhythm Room in Phoenix! Every time that Big Pete and the All-Stars play at their home base, it is a special party. Please join them for two nights of pure, old-school blues and rowdiness. The Rhythm Room is located at 1019 E. Indian School Road, Phoenix, AZ 85014. Doors open at 8pm, cover charge is $7. Rack Shack Barbeque will be available at these events. These nights will be patio smoking only events; no indoor smoking will be permitted.
- More Blues in the Movies: Regarding our "Blues In The Movies" spotlight, Mary Flynn (blues radio host on WPR in Wisconsin and the wife of Billy Flynn) writes: "A movie is in development right now called Cadillac Blues, the story of Leonard Chess. Beyoncé Knowles is executive producer, as well as playing the part of Etta James. Adrien Brody will star as Leonard Chess, Jeffrey Wright as Muddy, Cedric the Entertainer as Willie Dixon, and Columbus Short as Little Walter. A lot of good music should come out of this, as well as renewed exposure to a whole generation!" Thanks for this information, Mary! Check out these links (link one, link two) for more info on Cadillac Blues.
- Delmark Records To Celebrate 55th year with a Blues Extravaganza at Legends in Chicago this Friday: Bob Koester's wonderful Delmark record label has exemplified the true spirit of Jazz and Blues and of Chicago with its 55 year history of great releases. Bob is such an institution that one could reasonably say that he himself is part of the definition of music in the Windy City. Delmark promotions man Kevin Johnson sent us information about this event, which takes place on Friday, March 7, 2008 at Buddy Guy's Legends beginning at 9pm . The spectacular lineup features artists from the Delmark roster including Byther Smith, Jimmy Dawkins, Tail Dragger, Dave Specter, Jimmy Johnson, Little Arthur Duncan, Shirley Johnson, The Big DooWopper, Zora Young, Aaron Moore, Lurrie Bell, Michael Coleman, Eddie Shaw, and many more! This concert will also be videotaped for future broadcast on satellite television. Delmark is also planning a CD compilation to mark this milestone. A heartfelt thank you to Bob Koester and Delmark Records for all the great records that you have consistently provided us for all these years as well as the friendship and leadership that you have exemplified to all that know you.
- France's Radio Baker Street site posts photos of Big Pete & The All-Stars from recent Paris show: Special thanks to our dear friend Xavier Boulanger, who hosts France's Radio Baker Street, and is a big blues supporter. He was in attendance at Jazz Club Lionel Hampton in Paris when Big Pete Pearson and The Rhythm Room All-Stars with special guest Bob Margolin performed at this wonderful venue last November. He has recently posted a series of photos from that show on his website. To see these photos, click here; and to check out the home page of his great website, click here.
- Spring Harp Festival complete lineup announced: The amazing Spring Harmonica Festival in San Diego is truly a harmonica gathering. This event is lovingly put together by Chet Cannon (a fine harmonica player himself). Bob and Johnny Dyer will appear together in a band that includes Chris James, Patrick Rynn, and Kurt Kalker from The Fremonts. The rest of the lineup looks just great. To get all the information on this event, please check out the recently completed flier for this event by clicking here.
Dave Riley & Bob Corritore to appear at the Glendale Jazz and Blues Festival! Each year the City of Glendale, Arizona puts on an amazing festival in the heart of their downtown area. Initially, this was an all local lineup; but it has grown to include national acts, and has become a highly respected and well-attended event. This year, the 25th Annual Gibson Glendale Jazz & Blues Festival happens on Saturday and Sunday, April 12 and 13, 2008. Included in this year's lineup are the BMA-nominated team of Dave Riley and Bob Corritore, as well as Roomful of Blues, Mark Hummel, Tommy Castro, plus a sampling of Phoenix's top blues talent. For information on this event including the full lineup and showtimes, click here.
- Dave Riley become winter resident of Phoenix! Bluesman Dave Riley has just purchased a trailer in Scottsdale, so he and his family can be winter residents of the Phoenix community. Dave has been a frequent visitor, and just loves the Arizona winters. We are proud to welcome him to our blues community, which also includes veteran blues artists like Big Pete Pearson, Long John Hunter, Chief Schabuttie Gilliame, Luther Jackson, Ronnie Whitehead, George Bowman, Maxine Johnson, Paris James, Hans Olson, Bill Tarsha, Johnny Rapp, Bob Corritore, Brian Fahey, and many others. Phoenix has also been a past home to Louis Jordan, Reverend Louis Overstreet, Dyke And The Blazers, Chico Chism, Louisiana Red, Bob Tate, Dave Trippy, Buddy Reed, Tom Leavey, Texas Red, Janiva Magness, and Gaynel Hodge. Dave will spend his non-winter months at his residence in Calumet, Il. Dave is originally from Hattiesburg, Mississippi, and his deep southern roots flavor his great blues music. Welcome, Dave.
- Louisiana Red Dates Announced: Bob will be reunited with his close friend and long time partner in blues, Louisiana Red for two nights at the Rhythm Room on Friday and Saturday, May 2-3, 2008. Red has resided in Germany since leaving Phoenix in the early 80s; and so whenever the two get back together, it is always a special occasion. Their deep connection musically is brought about by their close friendship. They met and played together at the Delta Fish Market in Chicago in 1980, and when Bob moved to Phoenix in 1981, Red was soon to join him. While Red was residing in Phoenix they often roomed together and played everyday. Bob has produced two magical releases by Red, which have been critically acclaimed and considered among his best work. On this date, Red will be backed by a full band, including Chris James on second guitar, Patrick Rynn on bass, and of course, Bob on harmonica. Please mark this special occasion on your calendar. To see the flier for this event, click here.