The latests from Bob Corritore
February 20, 2008
- Blue Witch Label Showcase and Blues Blast Pre-Party this Friday night! This Friday, February 21, 2008 at the Rhythm Room, check out Big Pete Pearson and The Rhythm Room All-Stars (Chris James, Bob Corritore, Patrick Rynn, and Brian Fahey), Tomcat Courtney (new release out in May 2008), and Dave Riley and Bob Corritore) all performing at the Blue Witch Records Showcase and Blues Blast Pre-Party. Rarely do you get three powerful, real deal, blues artists performing in the same night. To see the Tomcat Courtney CD art in completion, click here. The Rhythm Room is located at 1019 E. Indian School Road, Phoenix, AZ 85014. Doors open at 8pm, cover charge is $10 ($8 for Phoenix Blues Society card carrying members). Rack Shack Barbeque will be available at this event. This night will be a patio smoking only event; no indoor smoking will be permitted.
- Blues Blast and Johnny Rawls Afterparty: The Phoenix Blues Society's annual festival, Blues Blast, happens Saturday, February 23, 2008 from 12-8pm at the Mesa Amphitheatre. This year's lineup is as follows: Walter Trout & the Radicals, Deanna Bogart, Harper, Eden Brent, Chuck Hall, Delta Highway, Big Daddy D & the Dynamites, and Soulcatcher. Tickets are $20.00 for adults and $18.00 for PBS members and group tickets (6 or more - purchased at the Mesa Amphitheatre Box Office). Ticket purchases are possible at the Mesa Amphitheatre box office (Ticketmaster outlets ( ). All things and from all Blues Blast, including related events, may be found at www.bluesblast.info. An after-party and celebrity jam session hosted by Johnny Rawls will take place at the Rhythm Room immediately following Blues Blast. The Rhythm Room is located at 1019 E. Indian School Road, Phoenix, AZ 85014. Doors open at 8pm, cover charge is $8. Rack Shack Barbeque will be available at this event. This night will be a patio smoking only event; no indoor smoking will be permitted.
- New Living Blues: Big Pete Pearson/I'm Here Baby named among top 50 CDs of last year, Dave Riley Interview, and more! Thanks to all the blues radio show hosts from around the world for allowing Big Pete Pearson's CD, I'm Here Baby on Blue Witch Records, to be among the top 50 blues CDs of 2008! Thanks also to Jim McGrath who compiles the radio charts for Living Blues. Also in this latest issue is an interview with Dave Riley, and a feature on the Muddy Waters rhythm section with stories on Willie "Big Eyes" Smith, Calvin Jones, and the recently deceased Francis Clay. To go to Living Blues Magazine's website, click here.
- Johnny Dyer to appear on Bob's set at San Diego Spring Harp Fest! Bob's dear friend and harmonica mentor will join Bob's set on March 22 at the 9th annual Spring Harmonica Festival Benefit at Harry Griffen Park Amphitheater - 9550 Milden St. in La Mesa, California (by San Diego) from 11:00 am. - 6:00 pm. Johnny and Bob will alternate the harmonica chores and guitarist Chris James and Johnny will alternate the vocal duties with Patrick Rynn on bass and Kurt Kalker on drums. Bob simply loves Johnny Dyer, and every time he gets to perform with Johnny, it is a special thing. The set with Johnny and Bob will hit at 3pm of this all-afternoon event. Also confirmed to play the festival at this time are The Fremonts, Billy Watson Band, Kenny Shoppmeyer and Delta Heat, Dan Byrnes and Friends, Rachelle Danto, Chet and The Committee, The World Famous Unknown Players Jam, and Harmonica John Frazer's All Star Jam Set.
- Charlie Musselwhite appears in acting role in forthcoming Hollywood gore movie! In recent movies, Honeyboy Edwards appears with a performance and acting role in Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story, Cedric Burnside and Kenny Brown appear in performance with Samuel L. Jackson in the blues-based Black Snake Moan. Now, Charlie Musselwhite has landed a part in a slasher/gore move. Charlie emailed a link to the trailer, which we must caution contains extreme violence, drug use, profane language, and nudity. If, after this fair warning, you still want to see Charlie in his forthcoming gore flick, click here.