Search The Blues Historian Website With Google

Google
 

Send Me Your Blues News

Contact me at
tgary62@gmail.com


Link Exchange

If you have a website, and would like to exchange links just email me at the above address.

The Iowa Blues Showcase is on the AIR

Download the latest podcast on ITUNES

Friday, November 20, 2009

Bob Dorr And The Blue Band Update


The adventures of The Wedding Singer/Wedding Planner continue. But first, the important stuff...

Tonight (Fri.) join us for our first EVAH appearance at Jameson's, 310 E. 4th, in the heart of the downtown entertainment district in The 'Loooooo (Waterloo). The best show might be before we play when we try and figure out how all 6 of us are going to fit on a stage which is literally half the size of the tiny kitchen in my house on Iowa St. (I now own TWO houses, but that's for later) I'm told the food is fantastic and the people who own and frequent the place are cool, so what's not to like? (besides the stage size) (yes, in this case, size DOES matter) (but that's for later) (MUCH later) Get there early for the Irish Stew and stay late for dancing. We play 9-1 (ish)...

Next week, we play the night before Turkey Day (Wed. 11/25) at Iowa's premiere blues club, Blues On Grand, 15th & Grand, in downtown Des Moines. Bring the family, stay out late, (we play 9:30-1:30) act the fool, but don't be a Turkey, let the Holidays begin! And Friday (11/27) is a fundraiser for the New Bohemian Festival (a multi-day, nonprofit art/music festival held over Labor Day weekend in Cedar Rapids) The New Bohemia Black and Blue Benefit happens at Gatherings, Bottleworks Building, 905 3rd St. SE, Cedar Rapids, The event, including Silent Auction, runs 7-11:30 p.m., Blue Band 8-11 p.m. We rarely get the chance to play in Cedar Rapids these days. Czech it out...wow, it's almost like bein' a real band again with 3 dates in a week! Woohooblue!...

Unfortunately, December is looking WIDE open. Keep us in mind for last minute parties. Let it be a Blue Christmas at your house!...

So speaking of houses...let me tell ya 'bout mine...and my other one...in an effort to combine our households into one, my betrothed (Ms. Carolyn) and I "thought" we could make a certain property in Sparkle City work, so I signed an offer contract and made an earnest money down payment, promising to cover the purchase cost with the money I have saved for my retirement (which is only FIVE weeks away!) (YIKES!!) Over the last month, while the process (inspection, appraisal, etc) was going on, we continued to find more and more things that would be needed to be added to the house I was now contractually bound to buying in order to make it "Dorr Family Friendly". Out of the blue (pun intended) on Monday, Ms. Carolyn says, "well, maybe we should think about adding on and remodeling your current house!" This is something she was previously hesitant to do (she lived in this house for 8 years and that didn't work out so good, so I don't blame her for being hesitant) I was stunned. And overjoyed. At the same time. To have her move into what i consider to be the Dorr House (it's the last house my dad lived in and co-purchased) means more to me than I realized. I love her for saying that. (OK, I love her for a lot more than that, but you get what I mean) We believe we can add on to this house and remodel what would be her areas for less than it will cost to bring the other property to Dorr functionality (what?) SO, that's the newest plan! HowEVAH, I was too far into the deal on the other property to be able to back out. SO, I had to spend my retirement money on buying the other house today. That means I am now in the real estate business! It really is a beautiful, 3 bedroom house. 1 and 1/2 bath, large family room, one stall park under garage and HUGE two stall detached garage. All of the inspector's objections have been fixed and the final appraisal came in $6000 higher than I paid for it. I'm going to spend the rest of the month (Yikes, that's only 10 days) trying to sell it myself. If you are interested in a property in a Cedar Falls central location, this could be my loss and your gain. Asking price is $134,900. Make me an offer by Dec. 1, I REALLY need to move that property cuz, like I said, my retirement from that steady UNI paycheck happens Dec. 31...

And speaking of Dec. 31, Carolyn and I went to the site of the BIG Happy Blue Year celebration (and site of our 10 minutes past midnight wedding!) (now you can see why I feel like I'm in the movie combining The Wedding Singer AND The Wedding Planner) and it is fantastic. Every room has fridge, microwave & sleep-matic beds and they're only charging $109! Tickets for access to the 7 acts, all 3 stages, buffet food, and champagne toast are only $50 (a 10% price drop from last year) There are only 400 tickets. Carolyn and i hope you can join us. Your presence will be our present...

Well, I have my "exit meeting" with UNI Human Resources Department in about 6 hours. I'm kinda freakin' out about not havin' a job and owning too many houses! It'll all work out in the end and if it's not workin' out, it's not the end! See yas on the Blue Butterball Highway, play yer zydeco tie for the family while carving that bird, use yer damn turn signals, cuz the governor's Special Traffic Enforcement Program is rampin' up for those "Happy" Holiday revelers, make plans to join us for chocolate wedding CAKE, and always remember we love you. Bob Dorr & The Blue Band

No comments: