January 20, 2009
- Rhythm Room All-Stars Festival Dates and Blues Legend Packages Now Available Through Blue Mountain Artists: The Rhythm Room All-Stars have partnered with Blue Mountain Artists (the highly noted and award winning blues booking agency) to present both The All-Stars on their own, and in packages with legendary artists Pinetop Perkins, Hubert Sumlin, Willie "Big Eyes" Smith, Bob Margolin, and Diunna Greenleaf. We look forward to our new association with this exemplary agency and its spectacular roster. The Rhythm Room All-Stars consist of Big Pete Pearson, Bob Corritore, Chris James, Patrick Rynn, and Brian Fahey. To see the press release that Blue Mountain sent out, click here.
- Rhythm Room All-Stars Appear at their Home Base This Friday and Saturday: The Rhythm Room All-Stars will showcase their powerful blues style this Friday and Saturday, January 23-24, 2009 at the Rhythm Room. The Rhythm Room is located at 1019 E. Indian School Rd in Phoenix. Doors open at 8pm, cover charge is $7. Rack Shack Barbeque will be available at these events. These nights will be patio smoking only events; no indoor smoking will be permitted.
- Dave Riley and Bob Corritore To Appear at Benefit for New Arid Club this Saturday Afternoon: The down-home blues of Dave Riley and Bob Corritore will be part of the presentation of an event being billed as "New Arid Club Open House" this Saturday. The New Arid Club is a program benefiting homeless and at risk persons. Dave and Bob will do a short set together around 3pm. This event is being presented by Lodestar Day Resource Center. The New Arid Club is located at 1201 West Madison, Phoenix, AZ 85007. To see the event flier, click here.
- Louisiana Red/Back To The Black Bayou To Be Re-Released by Ruf Records! Bluestown Records from Norway released Louisiana Red/Back To The Black Bayou to limited, regional distribution at he very end of 2008. This fine CD was produced by Little Victor, and features guest appearances by Kim Wilson, David Maxwell, and Bob Corritore. Bluestown has leased this CD to the powerful Ruf Records, which has a strong worldwide distribution and presence. Thomas Ruf states that Red's CD will be released on his label in early April in the USA and Europe, and soon afterwards in Japan and Australia. Thanks to all parties involved for spreading the word about this great album, and Louisiana Red's amazing talent. To see the CD cover art of the original Bluestown issue, click here.
- This Sunday on Bob's Radio Show: Bob will feature special guest, Phoenix music history expert John "Johnny D" Dixon, for the annual tribute to the blues, R&B, soul and gospel of Phoenix from the 1950s and 1960s. In case you are unaware of Phoenix's rich rhythm and blues history, please tune in for a treat of this music. Johnny D's segment will take place during the last two hours on the show (9-11pm). Also, there will be commemorative sets of music honoring the two-year anniversary of the passing of the great Chico Chism, whose 20-year residence in Phoenix left an indelible mark on its blues community. Bob will also feature selections from the fine new Bobby Jones CD on the Delta Groove label featuring great backing by The Mannish Boys. Those Lowdown Blues on KJZZ 91.5FM is aired each Sunday from 6-11pm, and can be heard over the internet at www.kjzz.org.
- Bettye LaVette, Aretha Franklin at Obama Inaugural events! The blues family was represented at the Obama Presidential Inauguration Concert on Sunday, January 18, 2009 by Bettye LaVette's soul-drenched vocal performance of the Sam Cooke classic "A Change Is Gonna Come" in a duet with rocker Jon Bon Jovi on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial. To see this performance, click here. Also, Aretha Franklin sang “My Country, 'Tis Of Thee” today just moments before the swearing-in ceremony on the steps of the capital; to view this historic moment, click here.
· Blues Blast Festival Weekend Activities. Henry Gray Added to Pre-party! Phoenix will be a blues hotbed on February 20-21, 2009. The activity centers around the Phoenix Blues Society’s annual Blues Blast Festival, happening on Saturday, February 21, 2009 at the beautiful Mesa Amphitheatre. This year marks the 20th anniversary of the Phoenix Blues Society, which has consistently sought to further the cause of the blues in the community. Blues Blast has become a popular event among out-of-town blues lovers, who also enjoy Arizona's warm February weather. This years lineup includes Janiva Magness, Omar & The Howlers, The Juke Joint Duo (Cedric Burnside and Lightnin’ Malcolm), The Mikel Lander/Meridith Moore Band, KC Blues, and a Phoenix Artist Showcase and Retrospective that will include appearances by Big Pete Pearson and Bob Corritore, as well as many others. Gates open at 11am, music begins at noon, and ends around 6:30pm or so. For more information on Blues Blast 2009, click here. Also that weekend are pre- and after-parties at the Rhythm Room. The pre-party on Friday, February 20, 2009 will also be a celebration of the 25 year anniversary of Bob Corritore's blues radio show, Those Lowdown Blues on KJZZ 91.5FM, and a CD release party for Broadcasting The Blues (click here for more information on this CD). The lineup for the pre-party includes The Rhythm Room All-Stars (Big Pete Pearson, Bob Corritore, Chris James, Patrick Rynn, and Brian Fahey), plus special guests including piano legend Henry Gray, Dave Riley, Chief Schabuttie Gilliame, and more! By the way, Henry Gray just celebrated his 84th birthday yesterday! He was born on January 19, 1925 in Kenner, Louisiana. The festival after-party and celebrity jam is also hosted by The Rhythm Room All-Stars, and tends to attract numerous artists from the festival stopping in and playing a few songs. The Rhythm Room is located at 1019 E. Indian School Rd in Phoenix.
- Hungarian Review of Broadcasting The Blues! Speaking of the Broadcasting The Blues CD, It has just been reviewed on the Hungarian website BluesVan.hu. Click here to see this website and the review. Special thanks to Attila Horváth. To see all the reviews so far of Broadcasting The Blues, click here.
- Bob Riedy Reunion Show Retrospective Online: Check out a recap of the late October/early November 2008 gathering in Lake Geneva of the Bob Riedy Blues Band, plus special guests Eddy Clearwater, Sam Lay, Chris James and Patrick Rynn, and Bob Corritore. To see this recap by Bob Riedy himself, click here.
- R.L. Burnside YouTube Clip! Please enjoy this clip of the great Mississippi bluesman R.L. Burnside performing a great solo acoustic version of the classic “When My First Wife Quit Me”. Click here to see.