Search The Blues Historian Website With Google

Google
 

Send Me Your Blues News

Contact me at
tgary62@gmail.com


Link Exchange

If you have a website, and would like to exchange links just email me at the above address.

The Iowa Blues Showcase is on the AIR

Download the latest podcast on ITUNES

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Bob Dorr And The Blue Band Update

I am absolutely convinced that the Chiropractor's Union has made a deal with Mother Nature (she's one baaaad, mutha) to have it snow, then wait for a few days so I can shovel the alley (yes, I still manually shovel the sh*t) and then get "adjusted" just so it can snow again and begin the process all over again. So I was shoveling at 3am and couldn't get you this note last night. I'm not sure that I can write in the middle of the afternoon with all the sunlight, but here goes...
Tomorrow (Sat. 12/18) three of us from The Blue Band (Mark, Jeff and me) will team up with some friends to play an hour set at The Hub (4th & Main Cedar Falls) to help raise money for the reconstruction of the storied Boat House that was wiped out by the flood of 2008 here in Sparkle City. It's been "interesting" to watch the two year process of Sparkle City Rule Makers (city council) decide if they'd even allow rebuilding in the flood plain (you can't really have a BOAT house four blocks from the river) Construction variances and design plans have finally been approved and now it's on to raising private funds to rebuild. Joel Hundley, former drummer for the DynaFlows will play drums, Bob Guthart has promised to bring his GREEN guitar and sing 10 or 12 songs (just seein' if you're payin' attention, Avis) and we're billing this as an open jam with Bob Dorr & Friends (who knew I even HAD friends?) A fellow I've known for 30 years, Phil Watson, who grew up in England during the British Invasion era, has already put his name on the list of "jammers" saying he wants to play guitar and lead this collection of players through Sleep Walk, the old Santo & Johnny song, (who knew he even PLAYED guitar?!) (or maybe he can't and this will turn out to be a Monty Python skit) That song alone should be reason for you to get there and support this civic cause. Don't be late, we only do one hour, 5:30-6:30...
Then Sat. night, right after the Boat House fundraiser, I start a string of Christmas specials on the radio shows. Saturday's Backtracks (7-10p) is all Xmas songs that are at least 25 years old. Sunday's Blue Avenue show (5:00-6:30p) is all Xmas blues tunes and that's followed immediately by an all Xmas, Sunday Night Beatles Medley! But all that is just a prelude to the annual Rockin' Xmas Eve show. Iowa Public Radio management is making it possible for me to continue a tradition that started in 1972 with a live, Holiday-song request show. I wonder if my friend Cheryl will call and DEMAND to hear The Barking Dogs sing (woof) Jingle Bells. I'm pretty sure I'll hear from Mike Sullivan who calls every year and wants to hear some Johnny Mathis Christmas crooning. I've been able to avoid this request for many years, telling myself that he's just the wacky husband of my girlfriend's sister. But this year he's my BROTHER-IN-LAW, so it'll be harder to avoid playing his request (my sister-in-law makes the fabulous meal for the Xmas family gathering). Join me Xmas Eve, 7-10p, requests/suggestions/salutations taken at 800-772-2440, ext. 5. Maybe if I get enough requests, I won't have time for the Johnny Mathis song...
Things are all set for the big New Year's Eve gala (and anniversary party). Do remember that the Hilton Garden Hotel is considerably smaller than the Hotel Fort Des Moines. There are only 400 tickets to this multi stage, 8 act extravaganza. I am told that about 1/3 of the tickets are already gone. More info and links for reservations/tickets, pictures from last year, and a complete minute by minute schedule of events can be found at http://www.theblueband.com/newyear.htm. Access to all stages, all acts, buffet food for 4 hours and champagne toast will be topped off with anniversary CAKE! Happy BLUE Year!!...
January 7 & 8 finds us kicking off our 30 Anniversary Tour at the Cherokee Jazz & Blues Festival in western Iowa. I'll have more on this in the coming weeks, but you can find out more details on this multi-stage, multi-venue annual event at http://www.cherokeejazzbluesfestival.com...
And then, Friday January 14th, it's my annual 28th birthday party at the Hub. I think I've had close to thirty 28th birthday parties. Is it too obvious to remind you to bring CAKE?...
I have yet to dig out the band equipment truck. I better go do that so I can continue to contribute to my chiropractor's retirement fund. Afterall, it's predicted to snow 3-6 more inches on Monday!...
No gigs next week and I have not even started Christmas shopping yet, so there probably won't be a Blue Note until the final week of the year. I'm hoping that the Fat Man (Santa, not Elvis) brings you everything you deserve and your holiday season brings you health and happiness for the coming Blue Year. Be careful on the icy Blue Highway, rub your washboard tie to the tune of Gimme Some Soul For Xmas, join me on the radio Christmas Eve (listen anywhere on the planet at www.iowapublicradio.org) and Have yourself a merry little (blue) Christmas. Give your love for Christmas. You've already got ours. Ho Ho Ho! Bob Dorr & The Blue Band

No comments: