August 17, 2010
- Bob Corritore / Harmonica Blues on Delta Groove is officially released today! On this day, Tuesday, August 17th, Delta Groove officially releases Bob Corritore / Harmonica Blues, and Mitch Kashmar & The Pontiax / 100 Miles To Go. These are two strong harmonica releases from a label that also boasts a roster of harmonicists Rod Piazza, Al Blake, Lynwood Slim, Jason Ricci, Magic Dick, Mark Lavoie, John Long, and label chief Randy Chortkoff. Harmonica Blues celebrates Bob's 40th year of playing harmonica, and features a simply amazing list of special guests that includes Koko Taylor, Little Milton, Robert Lockwood, Jr., Pinetop Perkins, Honeyboy Edwards, Nappy Brown, Eddy Clearwater, Louisiana Red, Carol Fran, Dave Riley, Big Pete Pearson, Tomcat Courtney, The Rhythm Room All-Stars, Chief Schabuttie Gilliame, Willie "Big Eyes" Smith, Eddie Shaw, Chico Chism, Bob Margolin, Kid Ramos, David Maxwell, Eddie Taylor, Jr., Bob Stroger, and more!
- Rhythm Room All-Stars appear this weekend at the Rhythm Room! Back at their home base, the Rhythm Room All-Stars play Friday, and Saturday, August 20, and 21. The Rhythm Room All-Stars feature Bob Corritore, Chris James, Patrick Rynn, and Brian Fahey. Look for a couple nights of houserocking Chicago blues!
- Chris James & Patrick Rynn # 6 on Living Blues Radio Charts. Speaking of Chris and Patrick, their new CD, Gonna Boogie Anyway on the Earwig Music label appears in the #6 slot of the July Living Blues Radio charts! Congratulations to these two great players for the warm reception to their solid new release. They will be performing selections from the new CD this weekend at the Rhythm Room.
- Blues Blast Music Awards voting closes August 31st. The voting for the 2010 Blues Blast Music Awards will close on Tuesday, August 31st. Voting is open to anyone who is a Blues Blast Magazine subscriber. Subscriptions are free and you can sign up as part of the voting process. Please note that Dave Riley & Bob Corritore / Lucky To Be Living, is nominated under the category of "Best Traditional Blues Recording." To see a complete list of all nominees and to vote please click here. The awards, put on by Blues Blast Magazine, will take place on Thursday, October 28th, at Buddy Guy's Legends new location of 700 S. Wabash Ave., Chicago, IL 60605. With this being the 3rd year for the Blues Blast Awards, the event and the recognition that it provides, has now become a proven and institutionalized part of the blues infrastructure.
- Mississippi Country Blues New Releases! Rural Mississippi blues is being well represented by a number of new releases. T-Model Ford has a brilliant new disc out called Ladies Man on the Alive record label that finds him playing in an acoustic setting backed by members of Moreland & Arbuckle and Gravel Road (for more information click here). Wolf Records recently released R.L. Burnside / Rollin' & Tumblin' which features field recordings of this very celebrated artist from 1975, 1989, and 1991 (for more information click here). Just released is a new Mississippi Fred McDowell CD called Come and Find You Gone, on Devil Down Records, which includes previously unissued recordings from Bill Ferris' archives. For more information and a song sample click here). Jeff Konkel of Broke & Hungry Records reports "This fall we'll be issuing a two-CD retrospective of the label's first five years. It's title is Mistakes Were Made: Five Years Of Raw Blues, Damaged Livers, and Questionable Business Decisions. The collection will feature 28 songs, about half of which are previously unreleased. Among the previously unreleased recordings are archival recordings by Jimmy "Duck" Holmes, Pat Thomas, Odell Harris, Terry "Big T" Williams and the Mississippi Marvel. Additionally the collection will feature newly recorded tracks by both Terry "Harmonica" Bean and Bill Abel. Exact release date is TBD, but we're anticipating an October, or November street date." It is great to see so much activity celebrating the deep Mississippi blues sound!