Search The Blues Historian Website With Google

Google
 

Send Me Your Blues News

Contact me at
tgary62@gmail.com


Link Exchange

If you have a website, and would like to exchange links just email me at the above address.

The Iowa Blues Showcase is on the AIR

Download the latest podcast on ITUNES

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Bob Dorr And The Blue Band Update


I have been married a week and a few hours. I've enjoyed every minute of it. There has been hundreds of well wishes, cards, salutations, and gifts (thank you Denise Sterner for actually giving us a TOASTER!!) Thank you, Blue Family. The biggest problem I see is that I'm so happy, it's gonna be hard to sing the blues...

Tonight (Friday 1/8) we start the "Honeymoon Tour" with the Blue Band's monthly Geeeezer Gig at The Hub, 4th & Main, Sparkle City USA (Cedar Falls) we play 6-9pm. Stop by after work, have a few slices of pizza, a coupla beverages, some dances (gotta get yer exercise and you KNOW yer not walkin' outside in this weather) and still be home before the temperature falls much below 10 below zero!...

And Saturday the Honeymoon continues with a band-truck ride to Iowa City (no luxury limo ride for this nontraditional couple) for The Blue Band's show at The Mill (120 East Burlington Street) This too is kind of a Geezer thing, with showtime starting at 8pm and likely to be finished before midnight. Get there early for the great food and bring your dancin' shoes for more exercise, we'll be celebrating the Hawks decisive victory in the Orange Bowl (Bring on Alabama!) The full 6 piece band plays both shows this week. The band fee for both shows is contingent on how many people show up. So get out there and help me impress my new bride! I'm thinkin' if we do well, I might spring for the honeymoon suite at the Motel 6 in Coralville or some other swank joint rather than drive home in the subzero weather...

If you can't make the Mill, my Backtracks Iowa Public Radio show this week is my annual "It's My Party And I'll Play What I Want To" Birthday program. (it's the 30th anniversary of my 28th birthday on Tuesday) There's some records that were my first record purchases as a pre-teenager, (I have no idea why one of the first records I ever bought was It Was I by Skip & Flip, purchased when I was seven years old) Lots of British Invasion tunes (including the first song ever done on the Ed Sullivan show by The Beatles) and a bunch of anecdotes from my 37 year history in radio in Iowa. The show airs 7-10pm, listen anywhere on the planet at www.iowapublicradio.org And don't forget the Sunday evening blues show, Blue Avenue, (5-6:30pm) which will include live recordings of Iowa Blues Hall of Famer, Joe Price...

We do not have any gigs scheduled for the rest of the month (this is NOT by design, we'd love to play, just haven't been presented the opportunity. How 'bout that house party in your basement?) so it might be a few weeks before the next note...

And speaking of booking gigs, we did accept a booking from the newest nightclub in the downtown Waterloo scene, Roux Orleans (in the old Black's Building, 4th and Sycamore St) for Sat. Feb. 20 and we did get an invitation to be part of the Party In The Park concert series in Charles City on May 28. This is the time of year when town festivals are booking entertainment for the summer. Help us by spreading the True Blue word. (Heck, volunteer to be on the entertainment committee and vote to have us there!) We'd love to be playing in your hometown this summer...

Earlier tonight, Mrs. Dorr posted on her Facebook page:

When we told my mom we were going to get married in Des Moines right after midnight, she said "I can't stay up until midnight!" So we decided to get married a second time in Cedar Falls- at 7:00 p.m.- so my family could witness the occasion. If you go to YouTube and search for "Bob Dorr Carolyn Prins" you'll see a video that the reporter from our small town newspaper made of the occasion.

Earlier this week she posted : http://mollywadephotography.com/bobcarolyn.cfm was the place to see some of the first photos of the event. Phil Maass recorded the entire NYE show and ceremony. I assume we'll have a commemorative disc for sale in the early spring...

And finally, a post from the chat page: Steve Campbell came up with such a cool design for that wedding t-shirt that Carolyn and I have decided to try and sell those shirts through the 2010 season with any profits to be given to a charity or non-profit. As soon as we pay some wedding bills, we'll get on ordering some of those. Thank you for being part of that really fun night. Been there, done that, GET THE T-SHIRT!!...

we have since decided that the American Cancer Society will be the beneficiary of any profits generated from the sales of those shirts...

See yas on the Blue(honey)Moon Highway, keep rubbin' that zydeco tie to the tune of I Knew The Bride When She Used To Rock'n'Roll, let me know if you're interested in that house I have for sale (the sooner we sell that place, the sooner we can hire a contractor to redo my house so I can actually live with my wife!) Bring birthday CAKE to this week's gigs, and always remember, we love you. Bob Dorr & The Blue Band

No comments: