Search The Blues Historian Website With Google

Google
 

Send Me Your Blues News

Contact me at
tgary62@gmail.com


Link Exchange

If you have a website, and would like to exchange links just email me at the above address.

The Iowa Blues Showcase is on the AIR

Download the latest podcast on ITUNES

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Bob Dorr And The Blue Band Update




OK, so I told you that there probably wouldn't be a Blue Note this week. Frankly, I've become addicted to writing these notes. Bear with me (or is that bare with me?) while I get a handle on this addiction. For goodness sake, I've got the hippy hippy shake...

Primarily, I wanted to let you know that there are only 36 more tickets available for the Iowa Public Radio Blues Cruise Riverboat Boat Ride fundraiser this Friday night. Ride the Spirit of Dubuque Riverboat from 7:30-10:30p, dance on the deck to the music of the Blue Band and meet other Iowa Public Radio junkies (there's that addiction thing again) all while helping to raise money to support the production costs of homegrown Iowa shows like the programs I produce. Fun and funds. Great combination. You can still order advance tickets by calling 800-772-2440, ext. 0. Don't miss the boat!...

Also, the t-shirt printers have promised to have the 2009 Tour shirts finished by Thursday night, so the boat will be your first chance to get this year's collectors apparel...

After playing a wedding dance on Saturday, we're off to the Mt. Horeb WI Summer Frolic. We play the beer tent 5-8pm. I'm hoping to stop at the Mustard Museum on the way there so I can purchase and proudly wear a Poupon U t-shirt at the gig!...

Next week, Friday (6/12) finds us at the Cambridge IA (off of I-35 between Ankeny and Ames) (finally, a short drive for Lucinda!) Jubilee Days celebration, 8-mid. Saturday (6/13) we play a 25th wedding anniversary for a couple in Maquoketa. We played their wedding a quarter century ago! YIKES!...

It's the webmistress' birthday weekend so wish her a happy birthday, encourage her to dance on the bar, challenge her to put her foot behind her ear (I saw her do that back in her 30s!) and BRING CAKE!...

I have decided that I am too young to pass up the offer of early retirement from the University of Northern Iowa. I'm one of the youngest people eligible for this program and I've GOT to do it. It looks like my end date will be Dec. 31 (New Year's Eve will be my retirement party! Book your room at the Hilton Garden Inn NOW!) I have made an offer to Iowa Public Radio to continue to produce some of the shows I currently produce in my garage as an "independent producer/contractor." They are interested, but have to find the money first. I'd love to remain a part of the IPR programming staff. I hope it works out, but if it doesn't, it's a been a fabulous run. (it all works out in the end, if it's not working out, it's not the end)...

And speaking of radio show production, IPR is still planning on going ahead with letting me have a 90 minute blues show Sunday evenings 5-6:30p, starting Sun. July 12. That's 38 days from today. We still don't have a name for that show. Do you have any suggestions?...

Many, many, many people on this list have written to give their take and encouragement regarding the decision to take the early retirement. Thank you for taking the time to help me make the best decision. If it goes totally bust, can I live in your basement?! See yas on the Blue Highway, play yer washboard tie at the Poupon U graduation ceremony, bring CAKE for the webmistress b-day party and always remember we love you! Bob Dorr & The Blue Band

No comments: