December 26, 2008
- Chief Schabuttie Gilliame to be Inducted in the Arizona Blues Hall Of Fame on Sunday: Though not a household name in the blues, Chief Schabuttie Gilliame is an amazing blues singer who has been performing in the Phoenix area since the 1970s. Chief's CD, Snakes Crawls at Night on the Random Chance record label, has received worldwide acclaim (click here to see some reviews). The Arizona Blues Hall Of Fame will honor singer Chief Schabuttie Gilliame this Sunday at the Rhythm Room. A who's who of Arizona Blues legends will be on hand Sunday night to honor Chief Schabuttie Gilliame as he becomes one of the Hall Of Fame's newest members. Chief will appear on this night backed by Nightshift; also appearing will be George Bowman, Hans Olson, Chuck Hall, Rocket 88s, Tommy Dukes, Rochelle Raya, Nancy Dalessandro, Mario Moreno, Johnny Rapp, Brian Fahey, Margo Reed, Matt Roe, Jim Dorholt, and Bob Corritore. The Rhythm Room is located at 1019 E. Indian School Road, Phoenix, AZ 85014. Doors will open at 6pm, with music starting at 7pm; a $5 suggested donation is asked. Proceeds go to ABHOF, a 501(c)3 non-profit organization. This event is co-Sponsored by Fender and the Phoenix Blues Society. Rack Shack Barbeque will be available at this event. This night will be a patio smoking only event; no indoor smoking will be permitted. Congratulations, Chief!
- Dave Riley and Bob Corritore Appear Tuesday at the Rhythm Room! The Mississippi-meets-Chicago juke joint duo of Dave Riley and Bob Corritore bring their celebrated sound to the Rhythm Room this Tuesday, December 30, 2008 for an intimate show. The Rhythm Room is located at 1019 E. Indian School Road, Phoenix, AZ 85014. Doors open at 7pm, cover charge is $5. This night will be a patio smoking only event; no indoor smoking will be permitted.
- Rhythm Room All-Stars with Special Guest Set by Tomcat Courtney to Play New Year's Eve at the Rhythm Room: Bring in the New Year with a night of real deal blues. The Rhythm Room All-Stars feature the stellar lineup of Big Pete Pearson, Bob Corritore, Chris James, Patrick Rynn, and Brian Fahey. Look for alternating sets featuring frontmen Big Pete Pearson, Chris James, and special guest Tomcat Courtney. Powerful stuff! The Rhythm Room is located at 1019 E. Indian School Road, Phoenix, AZ 85014. Doors open at 8pm, cover charge is $15 (includes champagne toast and party favors at midnight). Rack Shack Barbeque (including black-eyed peas, a traditional New Year's treat) will be available at this event. This night will be a patio smoking only event; no indoor smoking will be permitted.
- Unissued Little Walter to be Included in the New Little Walter Box Set! Scott Dirks has confirmed that some of the previously unreleased material that he heard while researching the book Blues With A Feeling: The Little Walter Story will be included in the upcoming Complete Little Walter box set, which is currently expected to be released in March by Hip-O Select.
- Walter Davis Tribute Album in the Works: Billy Boy Arnold recently gave Bob Corritore a listen to a number of tracks he recorded for pianist Christian Rannenberg, who is producing a loving tribute to the great Walter Davis. Davis was very popular in the 40s for his brooding, moody style, and this CD hopes to revitalize an interest in this great artist. Billy Boy's song contributions are nothing short of breathtaking, and lead to an inquiry to Christian about this new project. Christian reports he has also recorded Charlie Musselwhite and Jimmy McCracklin as part of this noble tribute. Thank you, Christian, for keeping this flame alive.