Search The Blues Historian Website With Google

Google
 

Send Me Your Blues News

Contact me at
tgary62@gmail.com


Link Exchange

If you have a website, and would like to exchange links just email me at the above address.

The Iowa Blues Showcase is on the AIR

Download the latest podcast on ITUNES

Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Another Reason The Blues Are Still Alive!!!!!!!

Normally I don't like to print reviews, or interview verbatim, because I want the author and the website to get the credit they deserve for doing the hard work. However, Illinois Blues newest newsletter has such a great find that I need to post the whole thing. I also assume that it should show up on their website soon, but it as of press time was not up.
I am excited because I have just heard some of the best blues/soul in the last 20 years since the death of ZZ Hill, it is his son ZZ Hill JR. I thought I was listening to the old master! I didn't even know about his son. All I can say is WOW! Check out his myspace page HERE.


Here is the part of the Illinois Blues newsletter dealing with ZZ Hill Jr.

IllinoisBlues.com also features another great review by Blues Songwriter, Musician, DJ and Journalist, Ben Cox.

ZZ Hill Jr. - Goin' To Mississippi
Delta Roots Records
Running Time: 51:33
By Ben Cox

I had come to believe that soul-blues and southern fried soul had all but passed on (with a few exceptions of course) with the passing of Johnnie Taylor and Tyrone Davis in the past five years. It's always nice to be proven wrong once in awhile. Maybe I just haven't been picking up the right records. However, I came across this CD via a blues forum on the internet and knew that I had to at least give it a listen. The son of the late ZZ Hill, the soul blues icon of the late 70s and early 80s from Stax/Malaco fame has brought a renaissance to my ears of the golden era of great soul-blues.

Singing with vocals reminiscent of his father and even at times reminding me of the great Jackie Payne, who's reemergence with the Steve Edmondson Band on the West Coast has brought a revival to the great soul-blues genre! Hill, along with acclaimed drummer, writer and producer Twist Turner completely floors the competition with the horn-drenched, groovtastic album that recallls the golden days of Malaco Records. With special guest guitarists Melvin Taylor, Maurice John Vaughn, and Joe Moss reminding us all of the days that classic R&B had wah-wah pedals, horn sections, beautifully penned songs, and even a Top 40 appeal.

With homage to the later Luther Ingram on the record on "It Ain't Easy" a Turner-penned track that has lead guitar by Melvin Taylor reminiscent of the wah-wah lines of "If Loving You Is Wrong, I Don't Want To Be Right" and the Ingram penned cover of "Lookin' For a New Love Tonight," Hill is definitely bringing back great old school sounds. Hill pays homage to his father to the "Downhome Blues" esque "Down Home Girl" on the eleventh track on the album. Recorded over a period of twelve years. The album leaves you wanting for more. I can't put into words how thrilled and exciting it was to hear this album and I consider essential to any blues, soul, and classic R&B fans out there.

You can purchase the CD by visiting CD Baby, although quantities are limited as the disc sold out in over a half hour upon it's initial release.

To Purchase this CD on CD Baby- CLICK HERE. You can also pick up the disc by visiting http://deltaroots.com/

Click HERE for More reviews and interviews

No comments: