Search The Blues Historian Website With Google

Google
 

Send Me Your Blues News

Contact me at
tgary62@gmail.com


Link Exchange

If you have a website, and would like to exchange links just email me at the above address.

The Iowa Blues Showcase is on the AIR

Download the latest podcast on ITUNES

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Bob Dorr And The Blue Band Update

I love the people on this email list. Near as I can tell, I've been writing these notes about 40-45 times a year for over 7 years now. I feel like the approximately 500 people on this list (depending on how many UNsubscribe this week) are truly my closest friends and relatives. Thank you for your replies and insights after last week's soul searcher. I've had some really great suggestions, but found the greatest consensus being that, yes indeed, we need MORE COWBELL!! I'll share some of those insights right after the important stuff...
WE'VE GOT A GIG TONIGHT!! It's the 2nd Friday of the month and that means it's Geeeezer Gig Time at The Hub, bub. 4th & Main, Sparkle City USA (Cedar Falls IA) Adult beverages, pizza by the slice, nice dance floor, great in-house sound system, cool friends wantin' blow off a little week-ending steam, what's not to like, right Avis? (not sure if Avis and her green guitar playing husband Bob are even in town. Last time I saw a posting on FaceBook, they were hiking in some exotic place like the Himalayas or Kilimanjaro) (OK, maybe not, just seein' if yer payin' attention, A, bring the green guitar guy if yer in town) And you can make it home for the 10 oclock news! We play 6-9:30p...
Saturday we play a private wedding dance and then another week off. We did manage to score one gig this week. It looks like we'll be part of the next FridayLoo Fundraiser in the old Black's Building in downtown Waterloo, Friday Dec. 2. It will also be Main Street Waterloo's Christmas Kick-off celebration. We play 5-8:30. More info on this as we get closer to the date...
This 30th Anniversary year has prompted me to sift thru some old tapes of the band. I have run across some live performances of some of our Christmas songs. I'm hoping to have those posted on the Listen To The Band page (http://www.theblueband.com/bluemusic.htm) starting next week. They'll be up there thru the holiday season. The currently posted live recordings are from last year's New Year's Eve show. Can you believe NYE is 7 weeks from tomorrow?! We've got another great Iowa Blues New Year lineup this year, tickets are already selling (remember, the smaller Hilton Ballroom only allows us to sell 400 tickets at the most) Tickets and room packages all done directly through the hotel. More info: http://www.theblueband.com/newyear.htm
I think it was my friend Russell who responded to last week's note: "would u like a little cheese with yer WHINE? sheesh!" Please don't misunderstand. I'm very happy. Too happy to sing the blues! But I'm also confronted by the reality that I'm closer to the end of the journey than I am to the beginning. Grasping that thought is very new to me. I just don't want to be singing the old song "Is That All There Is?" without doing all there is. Ya know what I mean, jellybean?...
Some more reactions:
First.... You must send this in larger print... "old" people don't like to switch glasses...
I can so relate to everything you are saying. I have worked for corporate America, and am in no better shape (financially) than you are. With my health and lack of wealth (there has to be a lyric there) the prospects are not good and we can't all be Walmart Greeters...
How do you make a Trombone player's car more aerodynamic? Take the Domino's sign off of the top...
I agree that it is not easy to be in “retirement”. I am sure not making what I did working and do not have a spouse with a job. Recently I applied at Temp Associates for part time work. They gave me a job assignment at a local herbal farm and I found myself on an assembly line where all the younger regular employees were fast as lightning and I struggled to be fast too but they let me go after only about 3 hours. I was humiliated and cried as I worked for 40 years at a great job and found out I cannot cut it at a minimum wage job! I do not know how people can move so fast. It was like that old Lucy show where she was on a line packaging chocolates and she ended up eating them to keep up...
you think too much. stay in the moment, enjoy yourself, make music, stop worrying about money. be glad you have a lovely, younger wife with health insurance...
take my Gramma's advice, "You get to feeling sorry for yourself, you think you have it so bad, look around you see how bad others have it... THERE IS ALWAYS SOMETHING TO BE THANKFUL FOR!" And you are always better off than others!" Here's hoping for another 10-20 years of hearing you & being at your concerts! Whether you say you are a small time band leader/singer our not...You are a great IOWA band leader & singer & we all love you & have for years! That has to be worth something doesn't it?...
"30 MORE YEARS!"...
I hope you'll keep making fabulous music in Sparkle City and around the state, Bob. I hope you'll keep making great radio shows I can listen to via my iPhone's NPR app. But most of all, I hope you and your blushing bride will keep each other happy and healthy and comfortable and sane. If there's a secret to achieving all that, I haven't got a freaking idea what it is. I know you can do it, though -- and I hope you will...
career advice for 60 year olds? Try something new! When I was in my early 50's, I got divorced after 28 years of marriage. At 55, I quit a job in the public school system--cold turkey. Two months later I went to work for a for profit company for the first time in my adult life. I am a Corporate Training Coordinator for a large national company based in East Dubuque, IL. I am having the time of my life--learning lots, traveling for work, meeting lots of great people, and not figuring on retirement for at least another seven years...
There were LOTS more great comments and suggestions. Like I said, I LOVE the people on this list. It feels like family. Let's keep this discussion going, cuz we're not getting any younger!
You may recall that my father-in-law was having some heart problems that we thought were being remedied with medicine. This week he went to have a stent put in and the doctors discovered some VERY blocked blood passages. He's scheduled for some major surgery on Wednesday. Say a little prayer, eh?...
I have now spent the last 45 minutes trying to figure out how to have this note sent out at 11:11:11 on 11/11/11 (numbers freak that I am) but I have no cyber skills, so that ain't gonna happen. Give the veterans in your life your thanks and make sure they have enough CAKE, see yas on The Blue Highway, rub yer washboard tie to the tune of It's Too Late To Stop Now, and always know that we love you. Bob Dorr & The Blue Band

No comments: