Search The Blues Historian Website With Google

Google
 

Send Me Your Blues News

Contact me at
tgary62@gmail.com


Link Exchange

If you have a website, and would like to exchange links just email me at the above address.

The Iowa Blues Showcase is on the AIR

Download the latest podcast on ITUNES

Friday, September 12, 2008

Ed Eaves RIP


Another great Iowa blues bassist has left us way to early. Ed Eaves who played with many people, but is mostly remembered as playing with Brian "TAZ" Grant, and Dale "Saxman" Jones, has died at the age of 52. He suffered a stroke a couple of days ago and never recovered. I was lucky to have met and jammed with Ed a few times. He was a great guy. He and the late Jimmy Smith were one of the first Des Moines blues players that I had the opportunity to play with when I first moved back home in 1991. Taz was late for a gig at the old Kapplan Hat company and Ed found out I played piano. So he and Jimmy had me play for about a half hour until Taz could make it. Jimmy and Ed were quite the combo so it was pretty scary playing with them, but they made it fun.

Update Special thanks to Barbra who sent me a photo of Ed.

Update 2 Services have changed for Ed's Sunday Service from Bethel AME to Union Missionary Baptist 1348 McCormick (off east 14th & University).

Memorial service arrangements Sunday, Sept. 14 from 5-8 p.m. at Bethel A.M.E. Church and Tuesday, Sept. 16, at 11 a.m. at Cornerstone Family Church.

Cannon Mortuary is handling arrangements ‹ 515- 244-5253.

He died Sept. 8 at Mercy Medical Center. He was 52.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ed was a big teddy bear with a big heart and sweet personality. He was always ready for a hug, our birthdays just a couple of days apart and he always remembered that little fact. I will miss him so much I miss his hugs and ready smile. I will even miss the way he always smelled good. Love you always Ed. Happy Birthday Brother! Love Melissa

Deisha Eaves said...

My Father was the epidemy of a Great, God fearing man! He has set examples for me and my children. He will always live in our hearts! I MISS U DADDY! I THANK GOD FOR BLESSING ME AS UR DAUGHTER! REST IN PARADISE! I WILL SEE U IN HEAVEN! LOVE U ALWAYS!