Search The Blues Historian Website With Google

Google
 

Send Me Your Blues News

Contact me at
tgary62@gmail.com


Link Exchange

If you have a website, and would like to exchange links just email me at the above address.

The Iowa Blues Showcase is on the AIR

Download the latest podcast on ITUNES

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Bob Dorr And The Blue Band Update

Holy Schamoly, it's just like bein' in a road band again! (only with a MUCH older body) Seven one-nighters in 10 days! The 30th Anniversary Tour is goin' to Kansas City, Kansas City here we come! But not before making a stop at a new/old place in Des Moines. Tonight (Fri) The Ingersoll (yes the old theatre) 3711 Ingersoll Dr. in the Capitol City. The place just opened under new management over Memorial Day weekend, they've got a nice menu for dinner and a nice dance floor for dancing. We play 9:30p til a little past midnight...
Then it's on to KC for our annual appearance as part of the Zona Rosa Shopping and Entertainment District Summer Concert Series. Beautiful, outdoor, park-like commons area, all ages welcome, great stage, great restaurants and night clubs along with the shops. The District is located NW of downtown KC, for more info/directions try: http://www.zonarosa.com/ We play 6-9pm. Thanks to The Jeff Todd Agency for the gig!...
On the rebound off I-35, we've been invited to be part of the Summerset Winery Fathers Day Celebration, outside of Indianola. Music, BBQ, wine, beer, and massages (great father's day gift. get yer daddy a bottle of wine, a massage, and a Blue Band 30th Anniversary T-shirt!) For more info and the vineyard's complete live music lineup, try: http://www.summersetwine.com/winery/live_music.html We play 3-6pm...
Next week, Thurs. 6/23-our first EVAH appearance at the Cedar Rapids BBQ Round-Up (just realized: Kansas City BBQ, Winery BBQ, and Cedar Rapids BBQ all in one week!) (the only thing missin' is CAKE for dessert!) (and a bottle of Tums for the ride home) Fri 6/24 one of the longest running Fri. after work parties in Blue Band history, Urbandale Friday Fest, Sat. 6/25-another new festival for us, Prairie City Days (Prairie City is south of Colfax, southeast of Des Moines) and Sunday-6/26 part of Sparkle City's annual festival-Sturgis Falls Days. More on all those shows next week...
Speaking of BBQ, lots of us were disappointed when Mother Nature refused to cooperate with the North Liberty Blues and BBQ Festival over Memorial Day weekend. Now we've got lots to be happy about: the North Liberty City Council approved the plans to reschedule that festival for Sat. July 23. We've been asked to kick off the festivities at noon (we have an already scheduled show in Sparkle City for the Smith-Maass anniversary party that night) so, we'll look forward to seein' you there for breakfast BBQ!...
Finally, a wish for a happy father's day to all you cool daddios. I'd be willing to bet that you have had occasion, sometime in your life, to use "the chub package" (no, this is not some spin off on the Anthony Weiner story) (the man's name is WEINER for God's sake, what did you expect??!!) No, the Chub Package is a long cylindrical plastic/film tube with a metal clasp at each end that packages stuff like cheese, cookie dough, meat spreads, breakfast sausage, etc. At the time of his death in Feb. 1998, I claimed that my dad was the world's greatest authority on the design and operation of "the Chub Machine", the machine that automatically puts the product in the tube, fastened the clips, and sent it down the conveyer line. My dad was in on the design (more as a machinist than an engineer) and traveled the world installing them and fixing them. Before his retirement, he was the Service Manager of the company, the highest rank anyone could achieve without having a college degree. It's too bad his career was before the idea of "royalties" on packaging was ever thought of. If the Dorr family could have just one-tenth of one cent for each chub package (insert yer own Weiner joke here) (yes, I said insert yer weiner) (sorry Dolores) that was sitting on grocery shelves today, money would never be a worry. As it was, my dad worked for that company for 40 years, 40-60 hours a week, often on the road fixing machines for a week at a time. (he installed those machines in all the states, Japan, and Australia) I never went without something that I "just had to have". (for awhile, I could not decide whether to be a first baseman, catcher, shortstop, pitcher or outfielder, so of course I "needed" a different glove for every position) I had a car at age 16. He paid for my college education (that he'd often wonder how I "pissed away") He and my mother both gave me the greatest thing a human being can have: an incredible work ethic and a desire/disposition to make things better. I was fortunate to have my dad live with me the final 6 years of his life. Even in that 6 years, I did not take the opportunity to regularly thank him for making life easier and better for me. And altho' he knew better, he was always supportive about my desire to make a living in the music business. He never got his due from his only son. As with my mother, I would give up everything I have, mortgage the house twice and start all over again, just to sit at the dinner table with my father and mother again and let them know what an incredible advantage they gave me by their hard work and sacrifice. Tell yer daddy what's in your heart before it's too late...
There'll be lots of chances to see ya on The Blue Highway, rub yer washboard to the tune of Kansas City, Here We Come, rumor has it that Laura is bringing Mango CAKE again to Zona Rosa, so don't miss out, tell yer daddy that your love him, cuz these swingin' Daddios love you! Bob Dorr & The Blue Band

No comments: