August 25, 2010
- Bob Corritore / Harmonica Blues climbs to #9 in the Roots Music report! The initial reception to Bob Corritore / Harmonica Blues on the Delta Groove label has been great! It entered the Roots Music Reportblues chart last week at #39 and this week it jumped up to #9! Click here to see the report! To see Josh Hathaway's blogcritics article click here. The first batch of reviews (all very positive) have come in and can be seen by clicking here. Thanks to all the DJs, programers, writers, and reviewers for the great support, and thanks to everyone at Delta Groove for their strong promotion and visibility!
- Bob's Fall Performances With a new release, Bob Corritore has an active gigging schedule for the fall. Here are the dates so far:
09/05/10: Phoenix, Arizona - Rhythm Room -Down Home Blues Festival and CD release party, withHenry Gray, Kid Ramos, Carol Fran, Dave Riley, Richard Innes, Rhythm Room All-Stars
09/16/10: Phoenix, AZ - Rhythm Room - Dave Riley & Bob Corritore open for Southern Culture On The Skids
09/18/10: Phoenix, AZ - Rhythm Room, Bob's Birthday Celebration! Appearing will be Rhythm Room All-Stars, Dave Riley, George Bowman, and Long John Hunter.
09/24/10: Tucson, AZ - Rhythm & Roots Productions' Plaza Palomino Courtyard Concert Series -Rhythm Room All-Stars
09/25/10: Bisbee, AZ - Bisbee Blues Festival The Rhythm Room All-Stars. Also appearing on the festival are Tab Benoit, Shemekia Copeland and others. For more information click here.
10/09/10: Helena, AR, Delta Cultural Center Annex with Bob Margolin, Bob Stroger, and Willie "Big Eyes" Smith as an auxiliary event of the Arkansas Blues & Heritage Festival 12:30 pm set. Note that the recently deceased Calvin "Fuzz" Jones was scheduled to appear at this event. For more information on the festival click here.
10/10/10: Clarksdale, MS - Hopson's Plantation, making a guest appearance at Pinetop Perkins' annual homecoming celebration! Many artists will perform at this event!
10/15/10: Mesa, AZ - Dave Riley & Bob Corritore opening for Eric Bibb at Piper Repertory Theater at the Mesa Arts Center. Click here for more information and to purchase tickets.
10/28/10: Chicago. IL - Buddy Guy's Legends - Dave Riley & Bob Corritore perform as part of the Blues Blast Music Awards ceremony. Note that for this event Dave & Bob will appear in a band setting withDave Riley Jr. on bass, and Kenny "Beedy Eyes" Smith on drums.
11/12/10 to 11/24/10: South American tour of Brazil and Argentina. Dave Riley & Bob Corritore to appear with the Adrian Flores Band (specific dates and venues forthcoming)
11/27/10: Tempe. AZ - Tempe Center For The Arts - Bob Corritore & Friends with Bobby Jones, Leon Blue, Chris James, Patrick Rynn, and Brian Fahey. Click here for more info and to purchase tickets.
- A list of available Phoenix, Arizona vintage blues, gospel, and soul recordings. Earlier this year the Southwest Musical Arts Foundation released a compilation of vintage Phoenix Blues titled Flyin' High, A Collection Of Phoenix Blues, Rhythm, and Spirit from the 1950's and 60's (for those seeking more information on Flyin' High, Click here). This has brought a new awareness to Phoenix's rich but largely uncelebrated blues history. But Flyin' High is just one of a number of satisfying vintage Arizona Blues, Soul, and Gospel reissues. Here is a list for active collectors, of wonderful CDs that partially uncover the musical treasures from this Southwestern, desert city:
15888 AH (Ray recorded this classic blues rocker in Phoenix!)
2) Various artists Eccentric Soul: Mighty Mike Lenaburg (producer), Numero 011 (2 disc vinyl release this fall)
3) Various artists The Street Hadley Murrell (producer)1964-1972, Dionysus BA 11103 (also 1 disc vinyl LP) Of
Kent CDKEND 214 / Lost Friends,
5) Dyke & The Blazers / We Got More Soul, BGP CDBGP2 180 (also 2 disc vinyl LP) Note that Dyke & The Blazers recorded the original "Funky Broadway" in Phoenix and make references to the Broadway Street of Phoenix, Arizona
6) The Servicemen / Meet The Serviceman, Wind Hit WH-100
7) Rev. Louis Overstreet / Recorded live in Phoenix, AZ. Arhoolie 442 (recently released on vinyl on Mississippi Records MR-049)
8) And of course Flyin' High, A Collection Of Phoenix Blues, Rhythm, and Spirit from the 1950's and 60's on the Southwest Musical Arts Foundation label, SWMAF 07
Special thanks to Phoenix music historian John "Johnny D" Dixon for providing this list, and for his amazing efforts in making many the above releases happen.
- Blues Blast Music Awards voting closes August 31st. The voting for the 2010 Blues Blast Music Awards will close on Tuesday, August 31st. Voting is open to anyone who is a Blues Blast Magazinesubscriber. Subscriptions are free and you can sign up as part of the voting process. Please note thatDave Riley & Bob Corritore / Lucky To Be Living, is nominated under the category of "Best Traditional Blues Recording." To see a complete list of all nominees and to vote please click here. The awards, put on by Blues Blast Magazine, will take place on Thursday, October 28th, at Buddy Guy's Legends new location of 700 S. Wabash Ave., Chicago, IL 60605. With this being the 3rd year for the Blues Blast Awards, the event and the recognition that it provides, has now become a proven and institutionalized part of the blues infrastructure.
- Thomas Yearsley in train accident. Thomas Yearsley, the longtime bass player of the Paladins, and the former husband of Candye Kane, was hit by a train on August 16th, while trying to save his dog Swango, who was stuck on the tracks. The dog did not make it, but Thomas survived with a a broken leg and a banged up head. A web site has been set up for Thomas at www.helpthomas.com. Thanks toCandye Kane and Dave Gonzalez for this information.