Search The Blues Historian Website With Google

Google
 

Send Me Your Blues News

Contact me at
tgary62@gmail.com


Link Exchange

If you have a website, and would like to exchange links just email me at the above address.

The Iowa Blues Showcase is on the AIR

Download the latest podcast on ITUNES

Friday, October 8, 2010

Bob Dorr And The Blue Band Update

It's late, there's not much to say. Saturday night is our last waltz at Blues On Grand, 15th & Grand, downtown Des Moines. Sam is bringin' the Hammond, so we'll be the seven piece version for this special occasion. What a great way to take us out from that storied venue. Many of the 7 of us have our pictures on the wall as members of the Iowa Blues Hall of Fame. The closing of Blues On Grand is a far greater blow to the blues scene in our state than it is to our band. With all the great national talent that passes thru that place every week, we only get to play there a few times a year, but the prestige that the place has (it won the Keepin' The Blues Alive award from the Blues Foundation in Memphis a few years back) really lent a certain credibility to the Iowa blues scene that we never would have gotten without Blues On Grand. I'm sad to see it go. It makes me think too much. We play 9:30-1:30, bring CAKE to this wake!...
Another thing that makes me think too much is the fact that we don't have another gig scheduled until the geeeezer gig at The Hub on Nov. 5. (yes, we'd still be available for a Freaker's Ball kinda thing at your Halloween party!) YIKES! Who knows if I can even remember how the songs go with a FOUR week layoff!...
On the personal front, Carolyn and I are trying to get in one more garage sale before the invasion of the snow flies, so it looks like next weekend (Fri & Sat. Oct. 15/16) we'll be trying to clean out the storage shed, garage, and band storage shed. I'll send along more details next week. And don't forget about the return of a LIVE, RequestFest on the Backtracks radio show, Sat. Oct. 23 and I'll look forward to seeing you at the Bob Dylan concert right here in Sparkle City, Sunday Oct. 24. It's been years since I've gone to a show and to see and hear the greatest songwriter of our time, 10th row center, less than 5 miles from my house, is something I'm really looking forward to...
I wanted to give you plenty of advance warning (Pam) that, without any gigs for awhile, I'm likely to go off on some ranting tangent in the next few weeks in these Blue Notes (hey, it IS political season) If all you want from these notes is WHERE THE HELL IS THE BLUE BAND THIS WEEK??!! then delete 'em before opening them in the next few weeks. Or, I might just take a month off (how can you miss me if I won't go away?) and go looking for exotic CAKE!...
See ya on the Blue Highway to Blues On Grand one more time. Bring yer washboard tie, cuz we're gonna have Sam sing They All Axed For You, spread the True Blue word that we need work, and don't forget we love you. Bob Dorr & The Blue Band

No comments: