Search The Blues Historian Website With Google

Google
 

Send Me Your Blues News

Contact me at
tgary62@gmail.com


Link Exchange

If you have a website, and would like to exchange links just email me at the above address.

The Iowa Blues Showcase is on the AIR

Download the latest podcast on ITUNES

Friday, June 12, 2009

Bob Dorr And The Blue Band Update


Tonight (Fri) is our first ever appearance at the Cambridge Jubilee Days celebration. Cambridge is between Ankeny and Ames, a few miles east of I-35. We play 8-mid. Bring CAKE because we'll also be celebrating the Blue Band's 28th Birthday (day before yesterday-first gig, at The Cooper Wagon Works in Dubuque, June 10, 1981.) Happy Birthday to us!...

Saturday we play a private anniversary party in rural Maquoketa for a couple that had us play their wedding TWENTY FIVE years ago!...

Next Friday (June 19) We are the parking lot entertainment at a national race at the Iowa Speedway Pit Stop Weekend in Newton. 30,000 people are expected for this Indie series race! This IS the bigtime for us! Please come out and help us make that good first impression! We play 8:30-11:30 p.m...

I signed the papers to accept the University of Northern Iowa's early retirement offer. Literally FOUR administrators have to sign off on this, my Supervisor, Department Head, Dean of the College and Vice President of the University. After that, I get seven days to back out of the deal. Otherwise, Dec. 31 will be my end date. New Year's Eve should be quite the celebration!...

Iowa Public Radio says they're interested in trying to work out an arrangement that would allow me to continue to produce the Backtracks Rock'n'Roll history show and the new blues show (we still have not decided on a name for that program) that I'll be hosting starting July 12. Most of you know that I already record most of those Backtracks shows in my garage at home, so it'd be easy for me to continue making the programs. I think the deal is really contingent on IPR being able to find the funding. Coincidentally, this Saturday will be a fundraising edition of Backtracks, (7-10pm) if you have a few extra bucks, 800-882-6427 will be the pledge number, or pledge on line at www.iowapublicradio.org. If the show is successful raising money, I'm confident IPR will buy the program after I retire from UNI. Which brings me to note that I am NOT retiring from the band or music or radio production businesses. I am too young and don't have the kind of money that would allow me to retire from working. I am simply retiring from UNI's Broadcasting Services Department. As a matter of fact, I'm already looking for odd jobs! The odder the better!...

See yas on the Blue Highway, rub yer washboard to the tune of the Happy Birthday Blues, bring CHOCOLATE CAKE for the birthday party, my friend Paul wants me to remind you to USE YER DAMN TURN SIGNALS (an oldie but a goodie) and always remember we love you. Bob Dorr & The Blue Band

No comments: