May 28, 2009
* Big Pete Pearson Phoenix CD Release Party For Finger In Your Eye Friday & Saturday at the Rhythm Room: This is actually a pre-release party as Big Pete Pearson's new CD Finger In Your Eye will not be officially released until July 7, 2009. The CD will be available for presale this weekend at the Rhythm Room with music by The Rhythm Room All-Stars (Big Pete Pearson, Bob Corritore, Chris James, Patrick Rynn, and Brian Fahey). Big Pete's new release contains 10 original songs with backing by The Rhythm Room All-Stars, plus numerous special guests including Pinetop Perkins, Duke Robillard, Henry Gray, Billy Flynn, Eddie Taylor, Jr., Doug James, and more. To see the cover art for this release, click here. The Rhythm Room is located at 1019 E. Indian School Rd. in Phoenix. Doors open at 8pm, cover charge is $7. Rack Shack Barbeque will be available at these events. These nights will be patio smoking only events; no indoor smoking will be permitted.
* Big Pete Pearson, Paris James, and Bob Corritore Appear Tonight at Quiessence: The beautiful, open-air restaurant Quiessence will feature a return appearance by Big Pete Pearson, Paris James, and Bob Corritore performing a night of down-home blues on Thursday, May 28, 2009. Quiessence is located at 6106 S. 32nd St., Phoenix, AZ 85042. Fine dining at its best to an evening of top-notch blues! At their last appearance, this event was at capacity, so it would be best to make reservations early. For more information, click here.
* Blues On The North Shore Poster: Blues On The North Shore is an event honoring the 30th anniversary of the great Earwig Music label. It takes place on Friday, June 12, 2009 at S.P.A.C.E. in Evanston, and the lineup includes David "Honeyboy" Edwards, Big Jack Johnson, Dennis Binder, John Primer, and Chris James and Patrick Rynn (with Bob Corritore, Alan Batts, and Kenny "Beedy Eyes" Smith). Blues On The North Shore will be emceed by Bill Wax, host of Sirius/XM Satellite Radio's B.B. King's Bluesville, and will be aired later. A beautiful poster has been created for this event, courtesy of Lynn Orman; click here to see.
* Spring Blues Festival Articles, Videos, and Photos: The Rhythm Room All-Stars’ performance at the Spring Blues Festival in Ecaussinnes, Belgium has received much attention. Here are a few items that have appeared on the web:
Photos by Michel Verlinden: click here
Docteur Blues article by Jocelyn Richez: click here
Photos by Jocelyn Richez: click here
Quefaire concert preview: click here
Bobtje Blues article on Bob Corritore: click here
Rhythm Room All-Stars on YouTube: click here
Rootstime article: click here, then click "Concert Reveiws", then click "Spring Blues Festival"
Another Rhythm Room All-Stars video: click here
Yet another Rhythm Room All-Stars video: click here
* New Blues Harmonica Releases: New blues releases favoring the great blues harmonica tradition are abundant. New traditionally based harp records include:
Rod Piazza & The Mighty Flyers/Soul Monster (Delta Groove)
Rick Estrin & The Nightcats/Twisted (Alligator Records)
Chicago Blues Harmonica Project/More Rare Gems (Severn Records) with Little Arthur Duncan, Reginald Cooper, Harmonica Hines, Charlie Love, Big D, Russ Green, and Jeff Taylor (Nice guitar work by Illinois Slim and Rick Kreher)
Various Artists/Chicago Blues: A Living History (Raisin Music) featuring Billy Boy Arnold, Billy Branch, and Matthew Skoller
Delta Groove All Star Blues Revue/Live at Ground Zero Volumes 1 and 2 (Delta Groove) with traditional harmonica work by Johnny Dyer, Randy Chortkoff, and contemporary-styled harmonica by Jason Ricci
George "Harmonica" Smith/Now You Can Talk About Me (Blind Pig) Vinyl-only reissue of his Murray Brothers CD. A true legendary master of harmonica!
Jimmy Rogers/Feelin' Good (Blind Pig) Another vinyl-only reissue, features great blowing by Rod Piazza plus two cool previously unreleased tracks with Bob Corritore on harmonica
Louisiana Red/Back To The Black Bayou (Ruf Records) featuring the harmonica of Kim Wilson, Bob Corritore, Jostein Forsberg, and producer Little Victor
Big Pete Pearson/Finger In Your Eye (VizzTone Label Group) With Bob Corritore on harmonica
* “Sugar Chile” Robinson on YouTube: Please enjoy this sensational video of child boogie-woogie piano ace “Sugar Chile” Robinson as presented by Count Basie, who does the verbal skit with Sugar Chile in between the two songs. To see this clip, click here.