Search The Blues Historian Website With Google

Google
 

Send Me Your Blues News

Contact me at
tgary62@gmail.com


Link Exchange

If you have a website, and would like to exchange links just email me at the above address.

The Iowa Blues Showcase is on the AIR

Download the latest podcast on ITUNES

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Bob Dorr And The Blue Band Update


What day is it? These days it's so rare that we play in the middle of the week, let alone 5 hours from home, that I'm all discomBOBulated...

That's right, TONIGHT (Wednesday) has us back in the Peoria IL area for the first time in nearly 10 years! The River City Blues Society has invited us to be part of their Wednesday Night Blues Series in the banquet room of The Dragon Dome in Pekin IL. Show time is 7pm, the cover charge is only $4. Big Blonde 2 says she's bringin' at least 3 generations of people with her and she's agreed to sing a couple songs with the band (yes, the same woman who sang Tore Down on last year's New Year's Eve Pimento CD) so get there early for a good seat! The guys in the band are being VERY generous by taking a pay reduction so we can afford to take the full 6 piece band. (can you say TIP JAR?) Iowa City saxman Rod Pierson will join Al in the horn section. I'm REALLY looking forward to this (I could do without the 10 hour drive down and back, but ya gots to pay dem dues to plays dah blues!) Bring CAKE!...

Then Friday (may day, may day) is the final First Friday of the month, Geeezer Gig for the season at The Hub, 4th & Main, right here in Sparkle City USA. Have a couple of drinks, a piece of pizza, some dances, act the fool, and be home before the 10 o'clock news! (or, if you act too foolish, be part of the news!) We play 6-9pm. The First Friday gigs will start again at The Hub in October (Oct. 2)...

Saturday night is another LIVE edition of my Backtracks rock'n'roll history show on Iowa Public Radio. Requests/suggestions/salutations at 1-800-772-2440, ext. 5, remember the show deals exclusively in songs that are at least 25 years old. It airs 7-10p, find the frequency in your area or listen on line at www.iowapublicradio.org. Call me babies...

But it's NEXT Wednesday that has me worried. Jeff is having his prostate surgery May 6. Get yer mojo workin' on praying/wishing for his speedy recovery. I have not played a Blue Band gig without Jeff in the band for over 27 years. You can bet I'll be vibin' REALLY hard for his total recovery because I'm pretty sure I could get us some gigs for another 27 years and he and I have plans to be playing The Mojo & The Say So when we're 100 years old ('course, when he's 100, I'll only be 97)...

Quite a few people have written, worried that the selling of the band vehicles meant a curtailment in the bands longevity! (see the previous paragraph) It was purely an attempt to up grade our equipment truck. However, in order to get into the high roof, diesel, Dodge Sprinter I had my eye on, it would cost what we got for selling the Winnebago, + Larry the current equipment truck + about $20,000! After hearing that, I realize what a great truck Larry is! Maybe in a few years, I'll have saved up enough money and there will be new hybrid technology cargo trucks...

Speaking of saving up money, The University of Northern Iowa, who pays for my work at Iowa Public Radio, has proposed an early retirement plan that I would qualify for. I don't really think that I'd like to stop making radio shows for IPR, but UNI is making an offer that's hard to refuse. The proposal goes before the Iowa Board of Regents on Thursday, I'll let you know how it all shakes out next week...

And speaking of next week, like the man said, the show must go on, so while Jeff is recuperating, some Blue Alums will help me get thru an outdoor show in Pleasant Hill (suburban Des Moines) Friday May 8. It's the Pleasant Hill Chamber’s “Chill on the Hill”, at Copper Creek Lake, Pleasant Hill, 5-8 p.m. Sam Salomone is getting his big organ out (!) and Ron DeWitte will play guitar. This is also the kick off to Pleasant Hill's Friday night series, so Capitol City Blue People, help me make it thru the night!...

I should probably try and get some sleep before driving the Larry truck to Peoria. See yas on The Blue Highway, rub your zydeco tie for good luck, use that good luck on well wishes for Jeff's speedy recovery (send CAKE) and always remember we love you, Bob Dorr & The Blue Band

No comments: