Search The Blues Historian Website With Google

Google
 

Send Me Your Blues News

Contact me at
tgary62@gmail.com


Link Exchange

If you have a website, and would like to exchange links just email me at the above address.

The Iowa Blues Showcase is on the AIR

Download the latest podcast on ITUNES

Friday, March 27, 2009

Bob Dorr And The Blue Band Update

From Bob Dorr. Check out the deal of the century that Bob is doing! Man, if I needed a Winnebago I would be buying it myself!!! I highlighted it in red so you can't miss it!!!!!
It's not usually about the money for me (how much money can there really be for a half-time, hourly, weekend Public Radio announcer and aging small-time band leader?!) but this week's about the money, honey....

Iowa Public Radio kicks off it's Spring on-air fundraiser in just a few hours (6am, Friday morning) and I'm scheduled to do A LOT of begging in the next five days. Surrounded by state cut backs, I think this fundraiser could really be a make or break proposition for IPR employees. I'm hoping to get your call of support during one (or all) of the shows I produce. I'll be trying to persuade you to part with some of that hard earned money, tonight, (Fri) for my Iowa music show Down On The Corner from 9-11pm (I'll actually be starting at 7pm, helping with the American Routes show) The new toll free number to call is 866-537-6055...

Then Saturday, The Blue Band travels to my old hometown, Davenport, (home of the Sudlow (Jr. High) Tigers) to help raise money for the Mississippi Valley Blues Society, whose operating budget was washed away by last year's floods. This is the rescheduled date from Dec. 21 when Mother Nature's winter fury made it so that we could not get to Davenport. Keep an eye on the sky, as I saw on the Weather Channel (you know yer getting old when you live for "your local on the 8s") that Mother may be screaming that nasty four letter word SNOW once again. The show runs 8:30-11:30 (doors open at 7:30) at the Red Stone Room at The River Music Experience, 2nd & Main in D-town. Mark Zimmerman (another Sudlow Tiger) at Zimmerman Motors in the Quad Cities is sponsoring our band's appearance. Please help me talk him into playing drums with the band (we were in rival bands at Sudlow) for a song or two! MVBS will also be auctioning off a couple of tickets for a Cubs game in April. Al & Heath will be in the horn section, it should be lots of fun for a good cause...

It's a good thing I'm schizophrenic (and so am I) because while we're playing the MVBS fundraiser, I'll also be fundraising my Saturday night rock'n'roll history show, Backtracks, on Iowa public Radio! If I had to pick just one show for you to help, it's Backtracks. I LOVE doing that program, so keeping it fiscally viable is a top priority for me. If you can't make the MVBS/Blue Band show in Davenport, please tune in and support Backtracks with a tax deductible pledge at 866-537-6055 or www.iowapublicradio.org. Better yet, make a call of support from your cell phone, while you're driving to Davenport! Backtracks starts at 7pm, so tune in on your way. The best of all worlds would be if you pledged while coming to the MVBS fundraiser and brought CAKE to the RME!...

I also will be IPR fundraising on Sunday Night Music, 6-10p, helping with Live From Studio One Monday starting at 7pm, and helping with All Things Considered on Tuesday afternoon 3-7pm. It brings to mind the old Temptations song "Aint Too Proud To Beg"...

And, with all that going on, I almost forgot to tell you that, yes, we will have copies of the brand new New Year's Eve CD with us on Saturday and also hope to have a little CD Release party at the First Friday Celebration (Geezer Gig) next week (4/3) at The Hub. That should be a great night. We play 6-9p and then Davis' other band, Stable Daze, will be recording a live CD late into the night. (I think those rockers usually play until 4 or 5 in the morning) (or not)...

I'm having some trees on my property that are interfering with electrical wires cut down. The whirring of chain saws and grinders starts at 9am. I gotta try and get some sleep. See yas on the Blue Highway (if Mother Nature allows) rub that washboard tie while you're makin' that pledge call to Iowa Public Radio (I really need that job, HELP ME!) CAKE always helps with fundraising (and with fundraisers' attitudes!) and always remember, we love you. Bob Dorr & The Blue Band...

PS, in case you haven't stopped by the Chat page recently, the "challenging" times are forcing us to try and sell our 1999 Winnebago Rialta LARGE conversion/cargo van. 82,000 highway miles, 6 cylinder, front wheel drive, can sleep 4 while rolling down the road, gets nearly 15 mpg, with 3 times the square footage space as a standard conversion van. Purchased brand new from Winnebago in Forest City IA for $49,900, we're asking $10,000 or best offer. There is a picture of it in today's Waterloo Courier. Call 319-277-4007 to hear more or set up a test drive. And here's the perk of reading this all the way to the end, if you mention that you read this post script, I'll take off $2000 on that price! bd

No comments: