Search The Blues Historian Website With Google

Google
 

Send Me Your Blues News

Contact me at
tgary62@gmail.com


Link Exchange

If you have a website, and would like to exchange links just email me at the above address.

The Iowa Blues Showcase is on the AIR

Download the latest podcast on ITUNES

Friday, March 20, 2009

Bob Dorr And The Blue Band Update


Just the facts, mammals...

The good news: We've got a gig tonight! (Fri.) at Porky's Pub and Garage, 5125 NE 14th St., (a few blocks north of I-80) in Des Moines, we play 9-1 (I know, you worked all week, and it's a late Friday night after you had to be at work at 7:30am, but TAKE A NAP (!) and let's have some fun) Bunky will join Al in the horn section...

The good news again: The swelling in my jaw seems to be about gone and I'm able to chew a little more each day on my root canalled tooth (damn, now I have to face the fact that it's my winter weight gain/chubby jowls, not the tooth ache that has me looking like FAT Elvis in 1977!) and altho' I seem to be NAPPING more than normal, I think I'm over this dastardly cold (good thing, cuz I'm sure I'm on "somebody's list" for purchasing two boxes of Sudafed in the last two weeks!)...

The REALLY Bad news: Doctors have detected a cancer in Jeff's prostate...

The better news: They detected this cancer in it's very early stages and Jeff's prognosis is very good. He seems to be dealing with it well (in deed, in classic Mr. Petersen fashion, he seems to be more concerned about the likelihood that he'll miss a few gigs because of the pending surgery, than the cancer itself, saying that "I'm not too happy about this, the last time I missed a gig was 1977!") I, on the other hand, am FREAKIN' OUT! No matter who left our band over the years, I always had confidence that Jeff and I could carry on. I'm not so confident with the prospect of not having him on the bandstand, even for a couple of gigs! None the less, Jeff's planning on playing all the gigs, right up to his scheduled surgery on May 6 and will hope to be back with us starting Memorial Day weekend. I tell you this so that we can all start vibing/praying for Jeff's complete recovery. I believe in strength in numbers. Your good wishes thru this time will be appreciated by Jeff, Sheryl, myself, The Blue Band and all effected by this news...

Some good news on the New Year's Eve party: How would you feel about this-You can see the hotel from I-80 in Des Moines. On one end of a large parking lot is a hotel with a ballroom (a little smaller than the Hotel Fort Des Moines) and a small conference room (bigger than Chequers Lounge) with an entry way that has a small cafe like area in the lobby. Those three areas could be utilized for the 3 staging areas. All the hotel rooms are very modern (it's a Hilton) with fridge and microwave in every room. In the middle of the large parking lot is a Texas Roadhouse Steak House. On the far side of the large parking lot is a Suites Hotel for those who may want larger rooms that are just a shuttle ride (if you don't want to walk across the parking lot) away from the hotel with the ballroom. Same great food provided in your ticket price for THE SAME PRICE AS LAST YEAR and maybe even slightly less!!...

Mixed good news with bad news: The KUNI broadcast tower/transmission line has finally been totally repaired and we are back to full power. That means that we now have coverage back in The Quad Cities and Dubuque. Next week seems to be "fundraising week" for me, as Iowa Public Radio starts it's 8 day on-air campaign on Friday (3/27) and The Blue Band is involved with the Mississippi Valley Blues Society fundraiser on Saturday (3/28) in Davenport. These are really important events. I am convinced (mostly because of my unrealistic paranoia!) that because of the wide ranging state budget cuts, if the IPR fundraiser is "under supported", then some of us IPR employees may be facing layoffs. And, because of the flooding last year, MVBS is scrambling to have enough money to put on their world reknowned 3 day festival over the 4th of July weekend. I'll have more info on how you can help these causes in next week's (hopefully all good news) Blue Note...

See yas in a few hours at Porky's Pub (Bada bada, bada, that's ALL FOLKS), keep rubbing your washboard for GOOD luck, CAKE will always help deal with bad news, and no matter what, remember we love you. Bob Dorr & The Blue Band.

No comments: