Search The Blues Historian Website With Google

Google
 

Send Me Your Blues News

Contact me at
tgary62@gmail.com


Link Exchange

If you have a website, and would like to exchange links just email me at the above address.

The Iowa Blues Showcase is on the AIR

Download the latest podcast on ITUNES

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Bob Dorr And The Blue Band Update


So I've been trying to access the Newsletter portion of our website for about 48 hours now. Every time I'd try to "go there" I'd get a message that said: Server Error The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. JRun closed connection. WHAT? So our "server" (You've Got To Serve Somebody) (still listening to old Dylan) finally got back to me with: Hello, The coldfusion service needed a restart. WHAT? Why do I envision some Hal like entity taking over The Blue Band website? Leave us alone, Dave's Not Here!! But that's not what I'm writing about...

I am really looking forward to TONIGHT! A great new place in Waterloo has opened and we're the second band EVER to play there! In case you haven't stopped by the chat page this week, here's what's posted: I just got back from The Screaming Eagle, the place we play on Saturday. You are definitely gonna dig this joint! I know many people that drive out of their way to eat at Toad's in downtown Cedar Falls. The Screaming Eagle is owned and operated by the Toad's people. The decor is similar too. Our longtime sound system advisor Darin Ulmer set up and installed the sound system and the band can be comfortably heard in the downstairs game room, as the music is piped downstairs also. Rumor even has it that there might be cameras offering wide screen band images throughout the club! Please help us make that "great first impression" by stopping out for a great sandwich/dinner and do a little dancing. We play 9-1. I couldn't have said it better, if I had written it myself! Bunky and Al will make up the horn section...

Can you BELIEVE next week is Memorial Day weekend??!! Saturday (5/24) (Bob Dylan's birthday) we kick off the Eagle Ridge Resort (in Galena IL) Concert Series, outside, on the Recreation Field, open to the public, FREE OF CHARGE!! We play 6-9pm. More info: www.eagleridge.com Then SUNDAY (not Monday, as in the 20+ years we've been doing this) SUNDAY (5/25) it's the annual Summer Kick-off Bash on the bank of the Wapsipinicon River in Waubeek IA (about 20 minutes outside of Cedar Rapids) at FB & Co. Tim Kula, who owns the place, has recovered enough from the mini-stroke he had this past winter to try and host another of these parties in the beer garden. Come on out and encourage him to hang in there and keep on keepin' on. The Mississippi Band plays at 2:30p, The Blue Band about 5:30p and since it's SUNDAY this year, you won't have to leave early to make it to work the next day! Altho there was some flooding of the Wapsi a few weeks ago, the river is back in it's banks, the grounds have been cleaned up, and we're READY TO ROCK!! Bring some bug spray, CAKE is optional...

Another reason to come out to The Screaming Eagle tonight would be to grab a copy of the NEW CD!! We'll have copies of "New Year's Eve Pimento", featuring the NYE reunion version (10-12 piece band) of classic and new Blue Band tunes. They're only $10, with the special offer to get that new cd PLUS the 2-DVD set for only $20!! (The website merch page says the 2-DVD set alone is $25)...

I finally got all the carpet out of my basement living area, the floors mopped up, the phone jacks repaired (The Qwest guy was here about 16 minutes. Cost: $216. I'm DEFINITELY in the wrong business) Then, on Wednesday, the Sparkle City Water Works Dept. decided that we needed to start flushing the hydrants. You guessed it, the "student intern" (college students-"the best and brightest") opened the hydrant at the top of my block and apparently went for a coffee break. The water rushed down the street, into my yard, cascading over my retaining wall, and sat in a pool in my back yard! Enough water reentered the basement that I had to reintroduced myself to the Wet Vac. This was a relationship that I did NOT want to have, especially before noon (!) The Cedar Falls Utilities aplogized profusely for the young intern's negligence. I thought they should have sent him over to meet my Wet Vac...

With all the sun and water, my grass is growing so fast that I need to cut it FOR THE SECOND TIME THIS WEEK! So I gotta go. See yas tonight at The Screaming Eagle, we'll be celebrating my friend Flo's birthday, so BRING CAKE (you saw that one coming, didn't you?) Wear yer zydeco tie (there are two really great zydeco tie songs on that new cd) and always remember we love you. Bob Dorr & The Blue Band

No comments: