Search The Blues Historian Website With Google

Google
 

Send Me Your Blues News

Contact me at
tgary62@gmail.com


Link Exchange

If you have a website, and would like to exchange links just email me at the above address.

The Iowa Blues Showcase is on the AIR

Download the latest podcast on ITUNES

Saturday, December 29, 2007

Bob Dorr And The Blue Band Update


The latest from Bob Dorr. BTW, Bob and his guitarist extrodinaire Jeff Peterson will join me at BVU on Monday January 14th for the last of the January Blues Series. If you are in the area stop on by!


HAPPY BLUE YEAR!! I resolve to have better shopping experiences! (altho' you haven't yet heard of my latest cash register fiasco at Wal-Mart, which involved the difference between a cantaloupe, a honey dew, and a papaya. I'll spare you the details) In the coming year, I'm hoping to explore the possibilities for an idea I have that COULD be bigger than duct tape or Velcro. More on that later, cuz "We gots sum celebratin' to do!"...

I'm more pumped for this New Year's Eve show than I've been for many years. The thought of being joined by Blue Banders of all eras (in theeeory, we could have about 14 musicians on stage, that have done gigs with the band, at one time) really is the way to celebrate the end of a FABULOUS year for us. And then, to be joined by 2007 Iowa Blues Challenge winners Matt Woods & The Thunderbolts AND, back by popular demand, Iowa City's Tornadoes with Ms. Jacqueline Krain, plus our long-time friend Pinkstuff doing the MCing (also, we've heard tell of some national politicos and commentators that will be on the scene because of the caucuses) AND The Bryce Janey Trio and Hot Tamale & The Red Hots next door at the Brew Pub, THIS IS GOING TO BE FUN!! Remember, some of those caucus workers freed up their rooms at the Hotel Fort Des Moines for the night of the party, so as of yesterday, there were still 20 rooms available. For some reason, despite my favorite lineup in years, ticket sales are about half of what we were hoping for at this time. You were waitin' for the last minute weren't ya? The last minute has arrived! The night's entertainment and a complete schedule of what band is playing at what time can be found at http://www.theblueband.com/newyear.htm. The ticket price is worth it just for the variety of CAKE at the food table...

BUT(T) WAIT THERE'S MORE! Actually, there's BEFORE!! New Year's Eve Eve (12/30) is usually the musician's preparty. After setting up the stages and sound checking the afternoon of Dec. 30, it's become tradition to gather in Chequers. Last year I was the winner of the Elvis Look-a-Like contest, using the Elvis Impersonator kit that Barb (Blue Tattoo) gave me for Xmas. I think I won in the "Fat Elvis" category. Anyway, keeping with this year's reunion theme, Rob Lumbard has agreed to reunite the 2 Bobs part of 2 Bobs & A Babe and Nathan Peoples has flown in from Austin TX (yes, his arms ARE tired) to be part of 2 Bobs & A Nate. Please don't tell Rob that I haven't played drums since the last time we tried this: TWO YEARS AGO! Maybe some of the other drummers in the house can help me out. The band plays 9-mid, free and open to the public. I'll be the one begging for tips. (some things NEVER change)...

After New Years we're not scheduled to play until another TGIF party at The Reverb here in Sparkle City on Friday Jan. 11. This will be my hometown celebration of my annual 28th birthday party. We play 5:45-9pm. BRING CAKE!! We're still trying to find a place to play on my actual birthday, (Sat. the 12th) stay posted on that...

Here's the "Merch Purch" deal on NYE: the IPTV produced, 25 Years of The Blue Band 2-DVD set, usually $25, just $10 on New Year's Eve. Left over 2007 Tour shirts and Iowa R & R Hall of Fame logo windbreakers (there's 6 left) (there's only 30 on the planet) will be on sale also...

We started the year by announcing that we had been elected to the Iowa Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame (thank you Shameless James, wherever you are!) and we're going to end the year with many of the players who helped sustain the group for all these years and were inducted with us in September. I hope you can be there to enjoy this celebration of 26 years of The Blue Band and help us start looking forward to year 27...

See yas on the Blue Highway. USE YER DAMN TURN SIGNALS (I had to get that one in there one more time this year) Bring yer zydeco tie to New Years Eve, we're going to be recording the night and I'd love to get a take with 25 tie players (besides, you'll look sharp in that shiny tie) Don't drive drunk, call yourself a cab (YOU'RE A CAB) No need to bring CAKE-it's part of the buffet and always remember we love you...Bob Dorr & The Blue Band

PS: oh yeah, my idea for a product that could make me richer than the inventors of duct tape or velcro...a better string cheese package! Wouldn't it be great not to fight with those damn things, trying to pull apart that plastic??!!

No comments: