Search The Blues Historian Website With Google

Google
 

Send Me Your Blues News

Contact me at
tgary62@gmail.com


Link Exchange

If you have a website, and would like to exchange links just email me at the above address.

The Iowa Blues Showcase is on the AIR

Download the latest podcast on ITUNES

Monday, July 9, 2007

Blogcritic: Gina Sicilia, Allow Me To Confess


A new blues artist Gina Sicilia got a great review from blogcritc. I have no clue who she is, but I have to admit that I agree with most of what was written at the beginning of the review.

From Blogcritic:

I know this might come across as some sort of reverse ageism, but I've always wondered how a twentysomething musician could legitimately sing the Blues? That's a pretty pejorative statement I know, but looking at some of these guys with their perfect teeth, expensive leather jackets and fancy guitars, nothing anyone tells me is going to convince me they know what the Blues are.

Oh technically they've got the chops; they can play guitar, blow harmonica, and sing, but a machine can be programmed to do most of the same things. I was very deliberate about saying guys because for every new woman Blues singer that comes along, there seems to be about twenty young turks, who in spite of having no real affinity for the music call, are called Blues musicians.

If I have to hear another CD of some young white guy singing misogynistic songs about hot chicks, being dumped, dumping someone, or "hey babe let's have a good time", I might puke. I know a lot of old time Blues guys sing "done me wrong songs" but there's a big difference. Those old time songs were vehicles that most readily expressed the emotions that the Blues evoked and weren't really about the topic of the song. With the young guys today it unfortunately comes across like they really mean what they are saying in the songs instead of only using them to express a universal emotion.

Now, I don't think that is universally true. We have had a couple of players, Jake Torkleson, and Matt Woods, who know the blues and are young guys. In fact, Jake lived the blues as a kid when he was deathly ill from Leukemia. However, for the most part young guys don't have a clue. I certainly didn't have a clue until my early 30s, and even then it was and still is a learning process.

Yet, I regress the article is a review of Gina Sicilla, and according to the review she has a fine disc out there. To read the review click here.

UPDATE

Here is her Myspace page. I am listening to her stuff right now, and it is really good:-)

No comments: